Corsair Community

Time to RMA?

Doubly

I have 2 x 512MB TWINX1024-3200C2PT modules and while my system passes memtest86, windows memory diagnostic and prime95, I crash out of video games frequently with fatal errors that say they were unable to access parts of the memory. The addresses listed are different everytime. All other windows usage seems fine.

My system specs are listed under my name. Here's the info from the labels on the modules:

CMX512-3200C2PT

XMS3202v1.5

0522107-0

CL2

I am using the latest version 1013 bios for my A7N8X-E Deluxe and have my bios settings seem to be set perfectly. I have reinstalled windows, the games I play, tried many many driver combinations as well. The only way I have been able to somewhat stabilize the problem has been by putting the ram in Single Channel mode, which I would rather not do. Even then games crash with memory errors, though they are less frequent.

Ive tested each module individually in each slot of the motherboard with no errors. I will leave it running overnight to see what it will do.

Another thing I have noted is that it says on your site I should be using CAS Latency: 2.5T (because I am using AMD), but 2.5T fails memtest #5 in dual channel while 2T passes fine. In Single Channel I can do 2T or 2.5T and pass memtest.

I have exhausted all possible causes including RMAing the motherboard. Is it possible that the modules could be bad in some way even if they are passing memtest? Is it time to RMA?

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest some other problem, and I would try and change the CPU_FSB jumper to pins 1-2 furthest away from the CPU and then load setup defaults and set tested settings with the modules in slots 2-3 then set the tested settings Cas 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.7 Volts and test them with http://www.memtest.org to be sure.

Following your directions Memtest failed test 5. I changed it to 2 3 3 6 instead of 2.5 3 3 6 and it passes, as I mentioned in my original post. Basically all that is different at this point is moving the FSB jumper from pins closest to the cpu to the ones furthest. And putting it back in Dual Channel. I'm going to see if I can get it to throw an error in a game.

Yes I have the latest 1013 bios.

Reflashed the bios. Cleared CMOS jumper. Swapped modules around trying slots 1 and 3. Setup bios again. CAS 2.5-3-3-6 got Unexpected interrupt - Halting. Error: Gen_Prot. Happened twice, failed memtest 5 the third time. CAS 2-3-3-6 passed memtest the first time. Ran memtest overnight with CAS 2-3-3-6.

4 errors in test 8 in 16 passes (8 hours).

each error = good FFFFFFFF bad FFFF00FF

any ideas?

Found this:

"There have been numerous reports of errors with only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate reliably at Athlon speeds. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory and expect it to work with an Athlon! On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected."

Since I have already RMAed my motherboard I would like to RMA my modules in hopes of getting a pair that is compatible with my motherboard. But I would like to you to help me try and get this working first if you can as you have experience with this motherboard and RAM.

• 3 weeks later...

Received my new modules a week ago and it has been smooth sailing since. Using your recommended settings I've had no errors in windows and passed memtest over 8 hours.

Thanks John and Corsair. I will continue to use your fine products!

Archived