Corsair Community

HELP! My new 2GB microSD is dead already!

Dubhead

Hello there,

I just received a new CMFSDMICRO-2GB from NewEgg.com today to use with my HTC P3300 PDA phone and it is now non-functional. I initially installed the card in the PDA and it was recognized and I was able to move some small files to it from the main memory of the phone. I planned to use the card to store my TomTom maps on for the integral GPS that the PDA/phone has. Since this is a slow process through ActiveSync I decided to use the included SD card adapter and stick the microSD card in the adapter and into my multi card reader to write to the flash card directly from my PC. I was able to move about 300 MB of file over to the card but when I tried to remove some that I decided I did not need on the card after all I received a deletion error from Windows. I received a few of these errors and then decided it would be best to just format the card and start fresh. I formatted in FAT first for 1.89MB of usable space but at the end of the formatting, Windows said it could not finish the formatting. I tried to format again in FAT and the same error. I then tried formatting in FAT32 and received the same error. I then tried to format it on my wife's laptop in FAT and the same error. I then tried to format the card in my Canon camera and got the same error as well. I am at wits end with this and was really hoping to use the card for the mapping software if possible but I am not able to at this point as my computer does not even recognize the card in the memory card reader any more. I plan on returning the product to NewEgg unless there is a better solution you can offer. I am shocked and suprised at this incident as I felt Corsair made a quality product. I have never had any other memory brand give me such troubles. Thanks for any insight you might offer on this! :confused:

Dubhead

• Corsair Employees
Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another infant mortality with the 2GB MicroSD here. I overnighted another unit from the vendor and am trying it now.

Yes the same answer would apply. Please let me know when you get the new card!

The issue isn't so much with getting a unit which lives past the first day, it's with ever trusting that unit again. There seem to be a LOT of infant mortality issues with these. (I bought Corsair because I refuse to purchase "the big name in flash" since getting 6 out of 9 pieces of SD memory with infant mortality - including units received directly from the maker as RMA for earlier infant mortality units.)

I use flash as the backup for PDAs, so I'm *counting* on this memory to have good data when all else has gone to sh!t in the system. Seeing 3 reported IM cases within the last few weeks worries me quite frankly....

@RAMGUY: can you suggest some tests we users can do to convince ourselves that a particular unit is "good"? I've tried filling, emptying, refilling, and re-emptying the memory and in the past this has flushed out the infant mortalities. Any other/better techniques?

TIA,

Richard

So, my replacement card arrived.

Copied some files to it (~ 1.3gb in size) and bam.

Dead, this time I got a "I/O Error" when attempting to read drive. (It let me finish copying files to it this time, then I "safely removed it" and re-inserted it into my reader - I even bougth a brand new one - and then it died)

:( time to rma again! gah.

Anybody have any other ideas I can try instead of rma'ing it right away?

• Corsair Employees

Please search for a utility from from this site. And then recover any data you need then from a command prompt please format the card with this syntax:

Format (X) /FS:FAT32 /U

(X) = The Drive letter assigned to the card.

If this does not work or if you continue to have problems please call our Tech Support at 800-205-7657 on Monday and we will do our best to help you solve the problem.

The same thing has happened to me. New 2GB microsd, put it in my pda, started downloading tomtom and then after 20 minutes i/o errors and my microsd is no longer recognized. I tried it in another device and it could not see it either.

I tried to use tech support express but the part number for the microsd is not in the drop down menu.

So, my replacement card arrived.

Copied some files to it (~ 1.3gb in size) and bam.

Dead, this time I got a "I/O Error" when attempting to read drive. (It let me finish copying files to it this time, then I "safely removed it" and re-inserted it into my reader - I even bougth a brand new one - and then it died)

:( time to rma again! gah.

Anybody have any other ideas I can try instead of rma'ing it right away?

SD is something joint developed by SanDisk, Panasonic and Toshiba. Panasonic's word is that standard formatting method doesn't always comply with the SD specifications and coming from one of the developing companies, I think it is credible.

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

There is a SD card formatting utility from Panasonic that can format t SD cards in compliance with SD specifications. Enable "full format, erase off" (erase "on" don't work w/ many card reader/writer).

http://www.sdcard.org/Downloads.aspx

If this doesn't fix it, I'm not really sure what to do.

Archived