Corsair Community

Can i add another TwinX kit ???

blorflarg

I have one TwinX-512MB kit (TWINX512-3200CPT) installed in my PC. I believe my mobo (Abit IC7-G) supports a dual-channel RAM config, so i have the two, 256Mb modules installed in the 1st and 3rd memory bank slots to take advantage of that.

I'd like to increase my total system RAM. Since this memory is great, i wanted to add the exact same TwinX kit (to occupy the 2nd and 4th slots), to bring it to a total of 1Gb. Trouble is i'm having a real hard time finding new, or even used, TwinX-512 kits on the market right now...

So here's the question:

If i pickup a TwinX-1024 kit, will it be compatible with my existing 512Mb kit (to bring total system RAM to 1.5Gb)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have one TwinX-512MB kit (TWINX512-3200CPT) installed in my PC. I believe my mobo (Abit IC7-G) supports a dual-channel RAM config, so i have the two, 256Mb modules installed in the 1st and 3rd memory bank slots to take advantage of that.

I'd like to increase my total system RAM. Since this memory is great, i wanted to add the exact same TwinX kit (to occupy the 2nd and 4th slots), to bring it to a total of 1Gb. Trouble is i'm having a real hard time finding new, or even used, TwinX-512 kits on the market right now...

So here's the question:

If i pickup a TwinX-1024 kit, will it be compatible with my existing 512Mb kit (to bring total system RAM to 1.5Gb)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

If your kit is made up of two CMX256A-series (single-sided) modules, a 1GB kit of two CMX512-series (double-sided) modules will work only if all of those modules are of exactly the same revision and very close to the same lot number (which means the SPD chips and the IC chips are all identical). Otherwise, you will likely have major problems with your system down the road.

Thanks for the reply, RJLeong65!!!

Yeah the kit is made up of a "matched pair" of two, CMX256A-3200CPT modules.

But from your reply, i gather that simply buying a new retail TWINX1024-3200C2PT (1Gb) kit does not guarantee it will work with my existing 512Mb (or if it does, it may not be completely stable in the future), because all kits are not created equal ?! :sigh!:

Is there any way to determine if the new 1Gb kit i would be purchasing, has double-sided modules that are of "exactly the same revision and very close to the same lot number (which means the SPD chips and the IC chips are all identical)" ?

Thanks again for your help......

Archived