Corsair Community

1/4 Defective CMX1024-3200C2

Rathain

Just a heads up on an incoming RMA request.

I run four CMX1024-3200C2 modules, began to see system stability problems and false positive file corruption errors on random different files after 11 months of rock solid stability. Ran Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic, received 100% failure on all tests. Removed all modules, inserted 1 at a time. One module fails 100%, other 3 pass all tests 100% in same slot. Now limping along with 3GB (2x 1024, 2x 512) until the defective TWINX2048-3200C2 pair containing the bad module can be RMA'd.

Opened Tech Support Express Case #16040 and awaiting RMA approval.

System:

Intel D875PBZ mobo @ P34 BIOS (Settings: All stock w/no overclock)

Northwood 3.4c processor (800FSB)

Timings: 2-3-3-6 @ 400MHz. Dual channel operation enabled.

Loyal Corsair customer - prove me right warranty dept!

Thanks,

Rathain

• 5 months later...

Of my four original modules from my above post, the two that I did not RMA have now failed as well. I am currently running one TWINX2048-3200C2 pair in a revision 303 board (vdimm adjustment range 2.625-2.775V step 0.05V) with voltage set at 2.775V. Based on your above reply and from reading elsewhere, I thought that the 2-3-3-6-2T timings might indeed be too aggressive, so I had been lately running at the JEDEC SPD of 3-3-3-8-2T.

I would enjoy running at faster timings for which I paid a premium (3200C2 vs plain 3200), but I have some concerns about stability. I know this board model is a stable board and Corsair memory has also been good to me, but they just don't seem to be coexisting very well.

I've already replaced: CPU, power supply, motherboard, and a number of cables in pursuit of fixing this problem... in the end I retested the two original modules in Windows Memory Diag and memtest and they failed every test, always with issues on the high order bit.

Are there any voltage considerations when running 2 banks versus 4, or is 2.775V always the recommended setting for this board regardless? I saw the problems begin the day I added my RMA'd memory back to my system, though the modules I received back are still working perfectly. Also, can undervolting cause any serious/permanent damage? I wouldn't think overvolting would be a problem when the max vdimm on the board is 2.775.

Thanks,

Rathain

In a nutshell, is 2.775V the recommended voltage for both 2 and 4 banks in this MB (Intel D875PBZ)?

I'm just looking for a reason that I would be seeing consistent failures. Barring that, I'll plan to push ahead with an RMA request.

Thanks,

Rathain

Archived