Corsair Community

Possible Bad Ram - CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB)

So I'm thinking that I may have some bad ram and possibly need an RMA request.

I've done some tinkering and found out that it's not the Mobo (I stuck two non CORSAIR dual channel sticks in and it works like a champ.)

I've had random restarts in the past and actually had a game lock up on me one night. I thought nothing of it, and went about my business. All of the next day everything seemed fine and then I went to play the game again and I was getting random resets. I still didn't really worry, then I decided to re-install. Did all that fun stuff, tracked down all the drivers and got everything in working order...no problems. Fresh install of the game, fresh install of windows and drivers updated to most recent, should be good to go. I got so many random problems that I wasn't sure even where to start looking.

I would have blue screens, program shut offs, total resets, and any number of variables. I began taking my computer apart after I found no conflicts. I started removing everything non essential a piece at a time to see if I could narrow it down, I'm down to my Ram, Hard Drive, processor, and mobo at this point. I took out my one of the sticks and moved the other to a non dual channel slot, worked like a champ...cool...did the same with the other. Seemed okay (this is before I knew that there was an easier way with the mem tester) Maybe it's the dual channel slots on the mobo, I had a gig of dual channel lying around from a different brand...worked like a champ. I've been computing and gaming on this new ram for the last 3 days now with zero resets, blue screens, or random crashes. This is leading me to believe that my stick or sticks may have gone bad.

The only thing that I haven't really tried is manually setting the timing through bios they are currently set to auto and as far as I know, always have been. I am more than willing to try to set the timing manually but don't see where to or am too much of a newbie to realize what I'm reading in the bios is actually the timing settings. I also have not run the mem testing program recommended from this site, I will do that tonight as soon as I get home. I would be happy to change the timings on my mobo if any knows how to. I have the retail version of bios from the mother board that I specified in the beginning.

I look forward to resolving my issue. If I can do anything on my end please don't hesitate, I'll try to check back as often as possible.

Thank you for your time,

Jason

I am very sorry for the delay in responding. I have been researching and trying to trouble shoot my problem using this board as a idea pool. I was thinking that something had to be incorrect because I have had such good performance for many months and then suddenly I have issues.

Part Number : CMX1024-3200C2PT

Version Number: XMS3202v2.1

Lot Number : 0611134-1

This is a matched pair and the numbers are the same on both sticks.

What I've done: I've completed another windows xp clean install and a fresh set of driver updates, and installed a few games.

I went into my bios and disabled legacy usb support, and attempted to set the voltage to the correct setting. My bios will only allow me to set the voltage to 2.7 or 2.8. I've tested the matched pair on both settings and have the same result. A few minutes into any ram intensive application or game I get one of a number of issues. I have seen blue screens of death, unexplained program termination, program termination with reference to memory, complete system reboot, and lastly blue screens of death with nothing on them.

I attempted to manually configure the timing to make sure it was to factory specifications but my bios has no straight forward option for ram timing that I can find. I have left the only setting that I can find set to automatic due to this.

I downloaded the memory tester suggested in these forums, but I am currently unable to run it do to the fact that my computer does not have and hasn't had for years a floppy drive.

I have even split the pair up and tried them individually and I can isolate the stick that causes me problems, but I can not identifiy which stick it is due to the fact that they appear to be identical. It seems that one stick is definately problematic, but I have no way of telling you which one it is other than the one on the left side of my desk seems to work find and the one of the right side of my desk locks up. (Both sticks are currently not installed incase an RMA is issued)

I would be more than happy to proceed with any suggestions or possible solutions.

I would like to take a moment and point out that I work in a customer service based industry and the quick response times and level of detail that the moderaters on this forum have is very impressive. I'm not sure how much corsair is paying you guys but it's not enough. Good customer service is priceless in today's market, and you all have been the best support that I've ever received on any product ever purchased and the fact that it's all web based is even more astounding. I salute you and give you kudos well deserved. Please keep up the good work. Corsair will have my business from now on, for any product that I can purchase through them because of this level of support.

Thank you for your time,

Sorry for the long post,

Jason

*The specs on my machine are listed on my computer profile and are up to date. If there is anything else please let me know.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived