Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP & XMS3200LL

Wood-Duck

I am having a lot of difficulty achieving a stable gaming platform with the 8KNXP rev1.0 motherboard (BIOS F9) and twin 512MB XMS3200LL DDR RAM running in dual channel. I have tried two different nVidia graphics cards (TI4200, now GEF7800GS) with no improvement. I cannot go to the latest BIOS (F12) as it decreases the maximum CAS latency setting to 2.0, at which my system simply will not run. I have no overclocking settings applied.

The default SPD settings reported in the BIOS are 2.5-3-2-6 but the CAS latency of 2.5 appears too low for a stable system. I have trialled different settings, but still see either a blue screen or memory cannot be read error when playing games, in particular, Half-Life 2 Episode 1. After trialling 3-6-3-3 and seeing some improvement but still eventually receiving a memory read error, I have now increased my settings to trial at 3-6-4-3.

Are there any other settings I should modify or should I be modifying a different setting to the RAS-CAS delay? I am unable to determine the voltage at which the motherboard is running the RAM, but have the options of increasing by 0.1, 0.2 or 0.3V on normal. Is this a possible solution? And what of the FSB speed (currently 400 in dual channel)?

Please help! :confused:

I am afraid at the moment I just have a standard case with a 400W PSU fitted. I also have the DPS2 (Dual Power System) daughter card fitted to the 8KNXP. Could the main PSU be causing such issues? I have also read in some forums of people recommending the removal of the DPS on this board, but nothing conclusive.

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS3200LL Cass 2-3-2-6 (With the Ras to Cas set "3") for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks RAM Guy...I have done as you suggested throughout the course of the day and here are the results...

Voltage +0.2 (2.7V), SPD timings 2.5-3-2-6 (with RAS-CAS 3)

------------------------------------------------------------------

CHIP 1, DIMM SLOT 1 + CHIP 2, DIMM SLOT 4 (Dual Channel - 1024MB)

Consistently fails MemTest #5 (Moving Block) at random addresses

CHIP 1, DIMM SLOT 1 only (512MB)

Repeatedly failed test 5

CHIP 2, DIMM SLOT 1 only (512MB)

Passed 2 hours of testing (11 passes)

CHIP 1, DIMM SLOT 4 only (512MB)

Passed 2 hours of testing (after previously failing in SLOT 1)

CHIP2, DIMM SLOT 1 + CHIP 1, DIMM SLOT 4

Repeatedly failed test 5 again, despite both passing individually in same slots

CHIP2, DIMM SLOT 2 + CHIP 1, DIMM SLOT 5 (Dual Channel)

Repeatedly failed test 5

CHIP 2, DIMM 1 + CHIP 1, DIMM 5 (Single channel)

Repeatedly failed test 5

CHIP 2, DIMM 1 only

Repeatedly failed test 5 (despite passing in same slot previously). So I increased voltage to +0.3 (2.9V) and set 3-3-2-6...currently passing all tests!

-----------------------------

Prior to your suggestion I had been trialling both DIMMS in dual channel mode, at both 2.8V and 2.9V with different timings, including 2.5-3-3-6, 3-3-3-6, and 3-7-4-3 (guessing really) but still experienced crashes and memory errors. The system certainly seems to prefer a single chip but, as you can see, still occasionally tests with random failures of both chips. Note also that my system simply will not boot with the CORSAIR-specified timings of 2-3-2-6.

Can you suggest what may be causing these issues? I bought the Corsair TwinX series as they were supposed to take the danger out of incompatible RAM in dual channel mode, but it seems that is exactly what I am experiencing. It is extremely frustrating as I am sure you can appreciate!

This could easily be a power related problem. When you load the system more, the system fails more quickly. I have no clue as to how well the Gigabyte daughter card thingy works as I have not personally tested it. If it is not required to run the system, I would remove it for now so that you can eliminate it as a potential problem.

Also, it appears that you have a generic power supply. Can you give me the complete model #, name, and spex on it. My guess is that it is weak on the 12v rail.

Hi,

Yes it is a generic PSU with the case I bought. Details are:

King World Enterprises Pty Ltd

Model LC-B400ATX

Output 400W

12V 17A max

5V 40A max

3.3V 28A max

3.3V, 5V and 12V max 380W

I am running 2 CD-Rom drives, an IDE HDD, P4HT CPU and GEForce 7800GS AGP GPU (using an IDE pwr cable to supply additional power).

I am considering buying a new PSU. Have you heard of FORCE brand of PSUs?

I will remove the daughter card tomorrow and trial the RAM again.

At this point, your problem does seem power related. Let us know what happens with removing the power card. Looking at your PSU, the 12v rail is VERY weak, especially for a modern system. This could easily cause the instabilities you are seeing. It may not be "THE" problem, but I suspect it is "A" problem.

No I have not heard of Force PSUs. IMHO, you should do some research. If you do not have good solid clean power, your system will not run properly and you can even damage components. I personally like the way Jonnyguru reviews PSUs. I would trust his recommendations. Our HX520 is perfect for your setup and the HX620 would be more future proof if you decide to upgrade.

Ok,

I have now removed the daughter card PSU and am happy to report that the two XMS3200LL chips appear much happier now. Out of 10 or so Memtest runs I have only received 4 errors total (2.7V @ 3-3-2-6) still in test #5...still not perfect I know but much better than the results I had before. I now intend obtaining a good quality PSU but it will take me a couple of weeks as I am in a remote part of the world where many online retailers will not ship.

Thanks for your help!

Ok,

I have now removed the daughter card PSU and am happy to report that the two XMS3200LL chips appear much happier now. Out of 10 or so Memtest runs I have only received 4 errors total (2.7V @ 3-3-2-6) still in test #5...still not perfect I know but much better than the results I had before. I now intend obtaining a good quality PSU but it will take me a couple of weeks as I am in a remote part of the world where many online retailers will not ship.

Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome. If you have trouble locating a reseller, let me know and I will see what I can do to help you.

• 2 months later...

Hi specmike,

I have now RMA returned my XMS3200LL chips but received the following reply today from Kimberly Olson in Customer Service:

"We have received your return, however the part you returned is now obsolete and we do not have a direct or upgrade replacement available. We have three options for an exchange; please let me know which one would best fit your needs;

1. Exchange for the 3200C2 or 3200C2PRO series

2. Upgrade to the DDR2 platform (6400C4 series)

3. Issue a refund based on your original invoice"

I would like to proceed with option 1 and exchange as I only have a DDR1 system. Which of the two chip series offered would you recommend for my Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev.1 motherboard?

I assume the PRO series would be ideal. Can you confirm that this would be a direct replacement given my RMA series chips are no longer available?

Thanks again.

Can you confirm that this would be a direct replacement given my RMA series chips are no longer available?

Please verify the details of the replacement with someone in customer service.

As to the memory PC3200C2 vs PC3200C2 Pro, they are both the same memory underneath. However, the Pro's have the "bling" and would be my choice.

Archived