Corsair Community

Crashing windows & bad RAM -- need RMA

Antioch

Hi, I have the following setup:

ASUS M32N-SLI Deluxe

AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+

Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4

GeForce 7900GT

and I've had some issues with Winodws XP and blue screens of death.

To start with, I received the board with BIOS 604 and had the same problem as in this thread: (http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52490). I called ASUS and asked them for help trying to get my machine to post, they suggested that it was due to bad RAM. After messing around with things and with a lot of luck I somehow got it to post and it's worked ever since then.

However, windows randomly crashed - it was the instant shut-down and restart type. At first it only happened 1-2 times a week so I just let it go, but recently it has happened more frequently so I decided to reformat windows and see if that fixed anything. However, during the reinstall process the machine crashed several times with errors such as PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA and IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL errors. After trying about 5 times I finally managed to get XP installed. However, as I was installing programs and updates it randomly crashed again. Obviously something is wrong. (In addition to reformatting I upgraded the BIOS to the newest version, 706).

I ran memtest and I received a lot of errors on one stick in tests 2 and 3 (I haven't let the whole test run because I needed to use the machine. I will let the test run in it's entirety after I finish this post, then update the post with the new info when it's done).

Right now the BIOS is using auto settings for the RAM and says that the current timing is 800MHZ, 5-5-5-18-2T.

I'm pretty sure I have a bad module and will need replacement.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, but that won't solve my problem with the page fault errors - that will just make memtest happy. Nonetheless I made the appropriate BIOS change and ran memtest again (1 pass) with no errors. However, I don't believe this will fix my problem, it only makes memtest run properly.

RamGuy, any help, thoughts, or suggestions?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Yes.

I spoke with tech on the phone. We went through and reset the BIOS (mine is the newest), and manually set up all the RAM settings as well as the legacy USB and such. It's going through 3 or 4 passes of MemTest now, and after 2 passes still no errors.

In a couple hours I'll fdisk my primary drive and reinstall XP and see if it crashes again.

I wish it were so but it doesn't seem like it.

It did pass memtest, but I still have errors in Windows.

I am not overclocking but I wanted to make sure that windows is stable so I ran Prime95 on my machine (dual core edition). I ran the blend which stresses CPU and RAM. I frequently get errors. I then tried to run the CPU stress only loop - no errors.

I can only surmise that memtest doesn't stress the RAM, that maybe the RAM is overheating with stress, or that the RAM is at too low a voltage (2.1v, 4-4-4-12-2T at the moment).

• Corsair Employees

I have no problem replacing your modules but what you have posted might suggest a power problem. Can you tell me the make and model of your PSU?

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

Archived