Corsair Community

how to get matching Corsair RAM for my system?

MrFreeze

Hi all! I recently put together a new system (you can see the specs in my profile) and decided to only get 1 gb of RAM as the prices have been rather high lately. I bought TWIN2X1024-6400C4 with the intention of going up to a total of 2 gigs, with the possibility of 3.

This could have been a bit of a mistake, though, as I've now read in the forums that 4 sticks will run slower than 2 sticks. I've also read that you need to get the exact same sticks for the best performance, including revision numbers, etc. I don't want to wait too long and lose the chance to purchase matching RAM so I'm considering going ahead and ordering it in the near future.

Can you tell me how to get these specs that I need to match up? Will software give me the correct revision number, etc, or is it something that appears on the RAM chips themselves? I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to high-performance RAM, so any additional info is welcome!

Thanks a ton!

Travis

Thanks Ram Guy! Can you tell me how I get the rev numbers for my RAM? Are they marked on the module or will a software program reveal it?

The second problem then becomes how to verify the rev numbers with the retailer. Is there a good way to deal with this or is it hit/miss?

I appreciate it!

Travis

Thanks specmike. I though I saw you mention retailers don't share rev numbers in another thread but just wanted to double-check...I've been through hundreds of threads in the last couple days trying to figure this out along with my problem.

I nearly always purchase online as it's cheaper and seems that there is more of a choice for nearly every type of product. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I typically shop from newegg, chiefvalue (newegg sister company), buy, zipzoomfly, amazon, etc...and pretty close to that order of preference!

If there was a local retailer around Tampa (or even Orlando) that had reasonable prices I'd consider buying from them, however.

Travis

Thanks again, specmike.

1 in 3 doesn't sound like good odds. I probably should have gone ahead and ordered the 2 gigs instead of trying to save the $$.

So what are the consequences of not getting the same rev number as long as I get the same part with the same specs, e.g. I currently have TWIN2X1024-6400C4, so I buy another set of TWIN2X1024-6400C4 ? Am I just looking at losing a little performance, or are there greater problems?

Hope all is well!

Travis

Archived