Corsair Community

Asus P5NSLI and DDR2 800

hobojohnn

I purchased a computer from Ibuypower assuming it would work and i wouldn't be allowed to set up a computer with incompatible hardware. The jokes on me.

After 2 months of exchanging parts back and forth with them because they claimed the products were defective, i came to doubt their defectiveness and assume that it could only be some sort of compatibility conflict.

I have done some searching and it seems that the mother bored doesn't naturally run DDR2 800 but instead you have to overclock the mobo and that also reduces the performance on the ram.

So i basically have 2 questions. First is it worth it to just overclock the mobo and take the hit on performance, if so any help would be greatly appreciated. And second should i just get Ibuy to upgrade my mobo or downgrade my ram so it all works in a normal state.

Thanks

p.s. Forgot to mention i'm actually running the computer right now with a 1 gig stick of ddr2 800 in it but when i put the 2nd stick in it sometimes gets to the windows log in screen and then restarts if it boots up at all.

If you are otherwise happy with our memory, I see no need to exchange it. You can manually set the memory speed to 667mhz in the bios and it should run fine. I have the same MOBO and it runs both our Value Select and Dominator modules just fine at 667mhz. Also, if you see any stability issues you can try increasing the memory voltage up to but not over 2.1v.

• 1 month later...

This is great. I had this exact same question, and 1 other.

I intended to buy the P5NSLI-E board which lists support for DDR2 800. I mistakenly bought the P5NSLI. I haven't assembled this system yet, and man I really wanted to play this weekend, but I don't want to cut corners.

I got a great deal on 2GB (1GB x 2) Corsair memory, DDR2 800. Since this P5NSLI states max support of DRR 667, is it possible to overclock the board to get the benefit of the DDR 800 speed? Or is the only option to under-clock this DRR 800 RAM to 667?

Any help is much appciated.

Thank you,

-Higg

As an FYI for anyone interested in this thread, I found that it works just fine. In fact the P5NSLI board detected the correct speed of the RAM (800) and I didn't have to do anything. Since I'm pretty sure I saw other boards with the same chipset being sold with stated support for 800, I suspect this was only a matter of how the product was labeled when Asus shipped it. I'm not sure that there's any overclocking taking place at all, since the RAM is running at its correct speed without any intervention on my part.

God bless,

-Higg

reasons.org

As an FYI for anyone interested in this thread, I found that it works just fine. In fact the P5NSLI board detected the correct speed of the RAM (800) and I didn't have to do anything. Since I'm pretty sure I saw other boards with the same chipset being sold with stated support for 800, I suspect this was only a matter of how the product was labeled when Asus shipped it. I'm not sure that there's any overclocking taking place at all, since the RAM is running at its correct speed without any intervention on my part.

God bless,

-Higg

reasons.org

Most likely this is the result of either a bios and/or chipset revision. Regardless, I am glad it is working for you :sunglasse

• 1 month later...

I have an asus p5nsli and get random crashing in vanguard, but memtest runs great

I am running stock settings like you did to get it in 800 mode.

Could this be due to voltage? Cyberpowerpc where I got the computer said downclock to 667 (which I did and it runs crash free now)

I have a few quests...

1. To run stable in 800 should I up the voltage?

2. When I run in 667 and I up the FSB from 266 to 300, any cpu burn test locks the machine, if I set the memory to 333 to run in 667 mode, do I need to change something else if I want to overclock my CPU FSB to 300? (its a 6600 c2d)

3. What timings should I be using at 800? 5-5-5-15-2t?

4. What timings should I be using at 667? 4-4-4-12-2t?

Archived