Corsair Community

Rma #r145489

pathogen.b

Case #193352

RMA #R145489

Hi. I returned one stick of 512MB CMX512-3200XL a few months ago due to a few critical windows errors (and memtest confirmed the module was bad). The replacement stick came back right away, but I haven't had time to try it out until this weekend (work is killing me). I ran Memtest86+ again with the replacement stick along with my other three 512MB sticks of the same RAM. The results were not so good.

So I pulled out everything but the replacement stick and ran memtest again = 301 errors in one pass (mostly from test 3,4,5 and 8). I started to run another pass of memtest, but the errors were continuing to mount, so I stopped the second pass early as there didn't seem to be a need. I tried the replacement stick in the other three DIMM slots and saw the same results. I also dropped each of the other three sticks into different slots and tested them individually and all together = no errors were found.

So, it looks like the replacement module is actually worse off than the original one I sent back. I know from testing that it's not the mobo as the other three CMX512 sticks are fine. What do I do now? Thanks in advance! wb

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the reply.

mobo = Asus P4P800 SE

CPU = Intel Pentium 4 3.4 GHz (Northwood), FSB is 800 MHz, 512 KB L2 cache

all of the BIOS settings are default (so far). i was going to make some tweaks once everything seemed stable (so right now, just this stick of RAM). the other three sticks do not return errors when tested alone or with each other and the stick i returned and the replacement return errors when used alone with any of the other sticks (in various DIMM slots).

Archived