Corsair Community

8GB Voyager ISSUE - HOT!!

abrams12

This 8GB Voyager is my 4th Corsair flash drive. I have the 512MB, 2GB, and the 4GB. All have been great over time. So when the 8GB came out, I bought it right away from newegg on 5 Oct 2006.

My main use is to backup by work laptop files (about 5-6GB) and thus far, I've loved it. I noticed a few bad reviews recently on newegg, so I felt the need to post a good one. It has not even gone though the system to be seen yet.

The problem - today, I plugged it in a front USB port to copy a recent backup to HDD. It did nothing? :confused: So I tried it in another port and nothing. Tried it on another rig and nothing. Back to the main rig and nothing. Leaving it plugged in, I started to Google for the issue. Then, Win XP Pro started to see it on-and-off (it was like if I kept plugging it in and out). Then, it stopped and under My Computer it was working and all files could be seen.

But then it started to see it on-and-off again. So I stopped it from "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. After I unplugged it; wow, was IT HOT!!!!!! I have never seen any flash drive get that hot. So I'm just letting it cool now.

Another note - I work for the US Army. In order to use it on government computers, I have to let the IT guys format it to NTFS (FAT32 not allowed). But I've done this on the 4GB without issue. And for about the last 4 weeks, it has been no issue with the 8GB, until now. :(:

Anyone with the same experience?

I see newegg's policy is 30 days for refund and 1 year for replacement. I want to keep it. I'm affaid it may burn-up next time.

Is Corsair aware of any issues with connections/overheating? Maybe I just have a back stick.

Thanks for any feedback.

EDIT: Oh, and the blue light is very very dim, if it comes on at all.

I'm thinking this is surely a defective part. I've never seen a flash drive behave like this. I'm planning to return the product to Corsair. I've already went through half of the Tech Support Express up to submitting for an RMA. I'll give it another day for a reply, but I know it's not my computer (tried on 3 different rigs I have) and I doubt anyone can provide feedback for a "fix". I'm going through Corsair instead of newegg because I don't want the next one in line for a replacement. Reminds me of the eVGA 7800 GS video card I had to RMA 3 times before I got one that didn't crash in a game after 3 minutes.

I can get my Voyager to still work, but only for a short period. Then it still gets too hot, Win XP Pro pops it in and out, blue LED barely works if at all (usually not), and files get corrupt.

Hopefully the replacement will have good RAM. If not, I guess I'll be playing the RMA game for the next several months. :(:

:confused: One question I still have - For RMA, do I send just the flash drive, or should I include the lanyard, etc. that came with it? I would think Corsair would want just the drive. :confused:

• Corsair Employees

Formatting the Drive with NTFS should not cause this problem at all, lets try replacing the drive for you!

Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

• Corsair Employees
You should get a reply with in 24 Hours but we have some people out sick with the flue or something so please be patient. About 48 Hours if you dont get a reply by then please call them at 888-222-4346 and they will take care of you!

• 3 weeks later...

Sent RMA 10 Nov by USPS (insured/delivery confirmation). Since 12 Nov, it's still enroute. I thought I'll give it more time to work the system, but now I'm wondering. I plan to check at the local USPS tomorrow.

Any way to find out if Corsair has received the 8GB Voyager? I could find nothing for checking the status of case numbers.

Glad I insured it.

Thanks.

I stopped at the post office today. Even though I sent it Priority on 10 Nov, they said it would get there and they can't do anything for 30 days. So IF it don't, stop back about mid Dec. Lesson learned on using USPS for RMAs.

I'll call Monday. Hope my case # does not expire before it gets there.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using my replacement 8GB Voyager for a good week now + and no issues. But this time I'm keeping it at home on FAT32 (not for work with NTSF). I just hope it stays that way like my other 3 Voyagers (512, 2, and 4GB), which have been running great for a LONG time. Some time will tell - it was 30-60 days before my original 8GB went down hill. Reliability of data is very important for my job, so I'll continue using another name brand at work.

While I'm sure these Voyager failures represent only a very small fraction of the population, I have read a lot about Voyager RMA failures. So, I'm feeling less faithful on any future Voyager purchases.

:confused: Question: Has Corsair found the cause for these failures? If so, what's the issue?

Oh, and thanks for the excellent Corsair support!

• Corsair Employees
The thing that you need to remember is that we sell more than 50,000 FV drives a week. And some weeks its well over 200K! Yes there have been failures but the percentage is less than half of one percent of what we have sold. While the number of failures are very low compared to industry standards; we still review all of the failures and make changes to improve the performance over all of our flash media. And you have to remember that this forum is here to support users who may have some problem or question, so you don’t normally see people posting that they have a great product. So you have to take some of what you see here with a grain of salt.

I'm afraid my drive has suffered from the same problem. I bought a 2GB FlashVoyager from Newegg and it arrived today (Tuesday). I used it for about 4 hours and it died. It was fairly heavy usage, installing and running several portable apps like Firefox and Xampp. All of a sudden when I was using it, Windows ejected it and it now just says it malfunctioned and can't be recognized and gets very warm after plugging it in for a minute.

1. Do I RMA to Newegg or Corsair?

2. What needs to be included when I return it?

• 6 months later...

Archived