Corsair Community

Crashes with Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

jujumbura

Hello all,

I'm having some issues with my home-built system lately, and I'm not sure what to try first. The crashes that I experience are either a total system hang ( no response whatsoever ), or a system restart. When I first put the machine together, I had a couple of these crashes while trying to get WindowsXP installed. But then it made it though, and I had no issues for a couple weeks.

Just recently I have been having trouble while gaming. During level loads or long fights, I will get one of the two crash types.

My specs are:

MB: Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Intel LGA775 ATX

Memory: 1Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo 6400

I have left my system in totally default settings, I haven't entered the BIOS once. I do not intend to do any overclocking. I have been browsing around various forums and it looks like there are some known issues of this type with this MB and Memory combo. And it also looks like tweaking my BIOS settings may help this.

I found some timing settings( for 6400 RAM ) in one of the FAQs posted here, but I noticed the motherboard they used was different from my own. Should I be able to use these same settings? Or do I need to adjust? Where should I begin?

Thanks very much for any help,

jujumbura

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hello all,

Well, I took your advice and set those settings to the best of my ability. Voltage to 2.1, mem at 667, and 5, 5, 5, 15, 5 for my timings. It worked GREAT... for about 5 days. Now it's back to restting itself randomly.

I need to get a hold of some blank floppy's, and then I will run memtest. Any other suggestions that I should be trying? Does this sound more like a motherboard issue?

By the way, what does the +3 volts with gigabyte mean? I do have a gigabyte case...

jujumbura

Did some more hunting...

My machine had become so unstable that it would reset after less than 5 minutes of use. I swapped out one of my memory sticks, no change. Then I swapped out the other: presto! I haven't had a crash once.

The settings I am now using are:

5 - 5 - 5 - 12

2.1 V

667 Mhz Mem speed

But I decided to run memtest to be certain. I purchased a floppy drive, and created a bootdisk. The "good" stick runs fairly well -- however after several hours of testing, I do tend to find errors on Test 6. Like 1 or 2 bad writes over the course of a day. So maybe I still don't have the BIOS configured quite right?

The other part, however, is toast. The machine won't even boot to POST with it. I can't run memtest on it because it never makes it there. Needless to say, I am returning it tomorrow ( got my RMA already ). I will return both parts, as reccommended.

I am still a bit worried though, as I do get those rare errors on memtest, even with the good part at the BIOS settings specified on the stick's label. Am I missing something here? If I get replacements from Corsair of the same part, will they still be flaky on my system?

Is there a better suit for my motherboard? ( The Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe )

Thanks for any help,

jujumbura

Archived