Corsair Community

Memory not working

jay19uk

I have a pair of value select 512MB ddr2 533 modules but the do not work. I have installed them in my computer but it does not boot up, it jus stays on a black screen. I have tried these modules in all four memory slots but still does not work. I am using a Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G motherboard and an AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor.

Thank You

Did the system work prior to installing the Corsair memory? Also, have you tried resetting the CMOS jumper. In some cases, when adding new memory, the bios needs to be reset. Also, if the system worked prior to installing the new memory, can you list your complete system specifications as well as any settings relating to voltage, memory, and CPU.

Thanks, Mike.

Yes the system worked perfectly with my previuos memory 2*256MB kingston ddr2 533. I have not tried resetting my CMOS jumper, is this the same as taking the battery out for a few seconds i may give that a go to see if it works. my systems specs are:

Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G AM2 motherboard

AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+ (AM2)

2*512mb corsair value select ddr2 533 (the memory in question)

256MB msi 7300LE graphics card

160GB SATA hard drive

on board sound

I was unable to find any specific setting regarding voltage in my bios but all of these are standard i havn't changed any and it worked fine with my kingston ram.

Thank You

Gigabyte hides their more advanced bios options such as memory voltage. I think they call it memory overvoltage and list it in increments like +.1v, +.2v, +.3v, etc. You have to hit a combination of keys to reveal this option (I think it is CTRL+F1).

Resetting the bios should be detailed in your manual and it involves moving a jumper. I'd suggest doing this procedure and then see if your system will boot with the Corsair.

If it fails to boot after clearing CMOS, try booting again with the older memory. Then, reveal the hidden bios options, set the overvoltage to +.2v, save the bios settings, and the turn the computer off. Reinstall a single stick of the Corsair and see what happens. If it works OK, install the other stick and you should be good to go.

Good luck, Mike.

no there are pins on mine, it says in the manual there is no jumper provided to stop in-proper use. I dont really know anyone else you see with a ddr2 computer thats the problem otherwise that would be the first thing i would have done.

Oh rite, but the thing is the computer works fine with my other ram its just wen I install this corsair ram it just dosn't boot up, thats why i think it could be the memory which is faulty. Again i will have the same problem of not being able to test those components because i only have the one system.

Thank You

In other cases where users have this issue, the best thing to do is find a simple OEM type DDR2 memory DIMM. You can boot the system with the single OEM DIMM, enter the bios, set the memory voltage, save settings, power down, remove OEM DIMM, install Corsair, and then you should be fine. However, not everyone has a spare DDR2 DIMM handy. Is there a competent computer shop near you that could lend a hand? Or, perhaps your retailer.

You see thats wher i made a mistake in my previous post, my motherboard's bios does not have an option to change the memory voltage, its jus not there even after i press CTRL+F1, but on the corsair website it says my motherboard is supported and the voltage should be 1.8 for this memory. im very confused lol.

Thank You

Good idea on testing in the other computer.

I just took a look at Gigabyte and their specifications:

Supports 1.8V DDR2 DIMMs

You could interpret this as meaning the DIMM voltage cannot be adjusted. However, our VS should work just fine with 1.8v as that is JEDEC spec.

I tried to look at their online manuals but all of their servers were down.

Did you see an entry called DIMM OVERVOLTAGE? That is what Gigabyte calls their Vdimm or DDRv. If you see it, select the + .2v.

Archived