Corsair Community

Instability with ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium and PC2 6400C4

djt

I’m getting some instability with a new setup I just put together this weekend consisting of an Asus P5N32-SLI Premium (BIOS 401), Core 2 6700 and XMS2 2GB (PC2 6400C4).

I did have the memory set at 800MHz but lowered it to 667MHz (I think) after seeing one of your responses to a similar question with this motherboard. This BIOS leaves a lot to be desired, could you give me the optimal settings for this setup. My BIOS settings are currently as follows –

Under – “Frequency Control”

New FSB Speed (QDR) [1066]

Current FSB Speed (QDR) 1066.7 MHz

Target FSB Speed (QDR) 1066.7

New MEM Speed (DDR) [667]

Current Mem Speed (DDR) 666.7

Target MEM Speed (DDR) 666.7

SLI-Ready Memory [Disable]

Under- “Memory Timing Configuration”

Memory Timings

T(CAS) [4]

T(RCD) [4]

T(RP) [4]

T(RAS) [12]

T(RC) [AUTO]

Addressing Mode [2 Clocks]

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium

Intel Core 2 E6700

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (PC2 6400C4)

2x e-GeForce 7900 GTX SUPERCLOCKED

Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS

2x WD 74Gb Raptor (RAID 0)

2x Seagate 80Gb (RAID 0)

Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Plextor PX-760A

PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW/1000W

Silver Stone TJ03 (Silver)

Windows XP Pro/SP2

ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800

ATI X1900XTX / X1900 Cross Fire Edition (CF)

2x WD 36Gb Raptor (RAID 0)

Plextor PX-760A

Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Silver Stone TJ03 (Black)

Windows XP Pro/SP2

Wow,

I have almost the exact same setup...and exact same problem. Needed to bring speed down to 667 to achieve stability. Setting the SLI switch to "Mem Max" improves speed but the system occasionally crashes.

Will be very interested to hear the answer to your question.

barancig,

I currently have “SLI-Ready Memory” set to “Disabled”.

So much for this board being DDR2 800 compatible. This is the third motherboard I have had for this CPU. The first was the P5N32-SLI SE, which I sent back for instability problems. The second was the P5W64 WS Professional, which I bought with hopes that the 975x chipset would finally get “official” SLI support, I got tired of waiting.

I wish that Nvidia would get their act together when it comes to Core 2.

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium

Intel Core 2 E6700

2x Seagate 80Gb (RAID 0)

Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Plextor PX-760A

Windows XP Pro/SP2

ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO

Plextor PX-760A

Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Windows XP Pro/SP2

I have an almost identical setup and I seem to be having similar issues. I've got most of my settings to Auto and I get occasional random system restarts. I had "SLI-Ready memory" set to Mem max initially but it seemed to crash much more frequently. I have no idea what the other settings do in "SLI-Ready memory" as they are not even mentioned in the manual. but setting it to disabled seems to limit the frequency of crashes.

There are two other settings that I thought might be something to do with this: "SLI Broadcast Aperture" and "LDT Frequency" The manual only goes so far as to mention them in passing. I tried changing the settings of these but I couldn't tell if I'd actually improved anything. I don't know what effect it might have had as the manual doesn't say what they actually do.

The lack of responses to our problems with this motherboard and RAM is not a good sign.

I keep checking the Asus web site for a BIOS revision but no luck there either. It’s looking like this board might be returned also.

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (BIOS 401)

Intel Core 2 E6700

2x Seagate 80Gb (RAID 0)

Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Plextor PX-760A

Windows XP Pro/SP2

ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO (BIOS 408)

Plextor PX-760A

Plextor PX-755SA (SATA)

Windows XP Pro/SP2

Thanks for the response. How do I overclock the memory if I set the “New MEM Speed (DDR)” to [667]?

My current settings are as follows-

Under – “Frequency Control”

New FSB Speed (QDR) [1066]

Current FSB Speed (QDR) 1066.7 MHz

Target FSB Speed (QDR) 1066.7

New MEM Speed (DDR) [667]

Current Mem Speed (DDR) 666.7

Target MEM Speed (DDR) 666.7

SLI-Ready Memory [Disable]

Under- “Memory Timing Configuration”

Memory Timings

T(CAS) [4]

T(RCD) [4]

T(RP) [4]

T(RAS) [12]

T(RC) [AUTO]

Addressing Mode [2 Clocks]

I have now seen you reference this "Corsair Labs Performance Reports" twice but there is no report listed for this MB within that location http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/tech_reports.html

Here is my RMA report to ASUS for their MB, but just for the record; I think your company is part of the problem also (not quality but support, aka slow to officially respond). I would like to see this MB listed on your web site with commended memory configs attached. You are recommending some memory within these forums but I would like an official statement by your company.

This memory I bought costs more then the ASUS MB so I am not happy with Corsair with their slow response to their customers and not profiling this MB quicker.

Mother Board Problem Description

MB will not POST; power LED on MB is illuminated, switch PRW on, GPU Fan starts, CPU fan starts, and then MB shuts off almost instantly.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - OEM

RAM: Corsair TWIN2048-6400C4 (nVidia SLI Ready)

PSU: Ultra 600w X-Finity (nVidia SLI Ready)

GPU: EVGA 7900 GTO (x2)

History:

When I first built my PC the issues described above was what first happened.

I then removed the MB from the case and only installed one GPU and one Memory sick in slot 1 (yellow). The MB started and I entered the BIOS. I set the SATA 1 & 2 for RAID and turned off the PWR after monitoring the temps for 10 minutes. The temps were stable at 29c for both MB and CPU; I confirmed this by touching the NB and SB heat pipes and top of CPU cooler block (Zalman CNPS9500) and did not burn my finger.

I added the second stick of RAM in the second yellow socket and the MB problem came back. I called ASUS Tech support and we tried unsuccessfully to reset the MB and get it to reboot. The last thing we were trying to accomplish was to remove the CPU and see if that would reset the MB but I accidentally dropped the CPU back into the socket and got thermal paste on the pins. While trying to clean up the paste, I damaged the pins and now you have the MB.

The timings and settings for the memory you have chosen are the same, regardless of the MOBO they are used in: FIND YOUR MEMORY HERE

All of the memory recommendations for the P5N series MOBOs are the same as they are all based on the same chipsets, either the Nvidia 570 or 590. Corsair Memory Configurator

Based on what you have posted, the power supply or the memory speed you are attempting is the likely culprit. After you get your damaged MOBO back from RMA, can you try booting with a single video card, 1 DIMM, and the CPU only like you began with. If you can boot again, enter the bios and disable Legacy USB Support temporarily. Then, hit F5 to load setup defaults. Then, set the memory frequency to 667, set the memory timings manually, and memory voltage to 1.9v. Then, test each memory DIMM with http://www.memtest.org for 3.-5 passes each.

Also, keep in mind that your MOBO may not run the memory at DDR800/PC6400 speeds as it does not officially support DDR800. And, considering the platform and GPU, the Ultra PSU is not a good recommendation.

Archived