Corsair Community

Bad Ram, Need RMA?

Naz

Greetings

I have some Corsair ValueSelect Ram (VS1GBKIT400), which I ordered through a local retailer whom only warranties their purchases for 6 months. Would have had to pay more for a longer warranty from them, which in my opinion is a rip off... I purchased it from them back in November/December of 2005

Anyway, the Memory seems to have gone bad and after running Memtest86 on it over night last night, I found that when it reached Test #6, the Memory failed big time, and them crapped out and could not complete the test.

So after reading the Warranty Information listed here... I came to these Forums for help to see how can I go about arranging an RMA direct with Corsair on this Memory... can this be done and what further information is needed to complete this process?

I should also mention, as obvious this is Dual Channel memory, so it is two sticks...

I do not know if one stick is bad or if they're both bad... as I had them both installed when running Memtest86 and all I know is... when it says FAILED and you see nothing but red lines running up the test screen... well that is usually a bad thing, so at that point I just took the sticks out and start looking for information on getting them replaced.

The system those sticks were mounted on: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, with an Athlon64 3200... running WinXP Pro.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then leave the timings set to "BY SPD" or AUTO, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB and set the CPU Freq. manually in the bios when running any memory test.

Thank you for that advice Ram Guy.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have another system or Board that I can test these in...

I also have not yet the time to run the Memtest in the manner which you've recommended, but I'll be able to so, either tonight or this weekend, and update here as nessecary.

Lastly, I was hoping to move on from this "ValueSelect" and start using better quality sticks, and I was looking at the 3500LLPRO, which my Mother Board recommends... however I'v been told this type has been discontinued?

Ok...

I went into my Bios and disabled the Legacy USB, and then Manually set the CPU Freq...

Then I shut the thing down and took out the spare sticks (backup) I'v been using, and put this ValueSelect back in, plugged the power supply back in... then powered up the Machine, and it would not post or initialize the Video.

Shut it off, pulled the power plug... put the backup sticks back in, plugged it up, hit the power button, and it booted up just fine...

Seems odd to me, I used the ValueSelect just the other night to run Memtest... not sure why the machine would not boot with them installed this time...

Ok its been tested as instructed.

I let the test run all the way through twice and it passed both times.

I am starting to suspect that I might have a motherboard problem, as I just tried to update the BIOS to see if that would fix another problem I'v been having (not memory related) and the BIOS Update Utility that is on my Asus disk... tells me that my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe Board... is not an Asus product...

If I have any further problems with my Corsair RAM, I'll post again, but for now it seems that I do not...

I wiped the main partition and reformatted/reinstalled Windows this weekend. there were just too many other problems.

End result... all problems are now gone.

Still considering bumping up to a couple higher quality Corsair sticks though, but for now everything seems fine and all my software runs perfect!

Thanks for all the advice and assistance!

Archived