Corsair Community

CM2X512-5400C4PRO Problem

truCido

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte 965P-DS4 and a set of CM2X512-5400C4PRO (1GB DDR2 Twin2X Matched Pair) and I can run each stick singulary, but as soon as I put the other in, my system wont boot (in dual mode or normal) and it shuts down before bios and it beeps quite a lot at me

If remove one of the sticks everything works fine, but as soon as I have 2 in it doesnt work. Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Dave

Well, it may not be "the" problem but my guess is your power supply. It is catagorized as a "generic" PSU in the only review I could find. And trust me, you don't want to be running the top end gear you have with a generic PSU.

Below, from another post I answered:

In many cases you will get BSODs or some sort of restarting problem. Depending on how much the PSU is underpowered, this may happen as soon as you boot up or, it could happen after 2 hours of gaming or anywhere in between. Heat is often part of the problem and the PSU will shut itself off or the power monitoring on the MOBO will kick in and protect the system.

In a worst case scenario, a really cheap PSU under a very heavy load can actually have components explode.....literally. A catastrophic failure such as this can take other components with it when it blasts off for the moon. This is rare but it can happen.

Another thing that people usually cannot detect until it is too late is dirty power damaging components over time. HDs and video cards are especially succeptible to damage from this type of bad power. What happens is that the PSU allows AC current to bleed thru to the DC devices in your system. This is BAD. Over time, this will eventually kill some of the components in the system even though the PSU itself does not fail.

I see people all the time with a $2k, $3, or even more system with a $49 PSU in it. Wouldn't it be a shame to kill a puter like that with a $49 PSU.

Based on your system spex, I absolutely would not run that system with that PSU. As I said, it may not be "the" problem but I think it is.

Your power spex show 2 12v rails with 15a on one, and 17a on the other. According to Nvidia a 7900GT needs in excess of 20a on the 12v rail. Neither of your seperate rails is strong enough to run just your video card. So, when you add all of the other factors, you are probably going to kill that PSU.

Mike.

Ah thanks for your help Mike :) I'm returning the PSU and the RAM to where I bought it from and I'm going to upgrade the PSU.

I'm looking at either the 580W HiperPower Type-R, 520W Corsair HX Series, 580w Tagan TG580 or the 670W HiperPower (do I really need 670W?) or if you could recommend one that would be great.

• Corsair Employees

LOL :laughing: well yes I guess you can say that, but I would have to add that anyone who knows me will tell you that I would not promote anything if I did not think it was a good product even our own!

In My opinion our PSU's are one of the best PSU's you can buy for the money, and if you don’t buy one of ours I would suggest PC Power and Cooling as that’s the only PSU I would consider and being close to ours.

All things considered (Price, Warrenty, performance and Reputation)! ;):

I can't recall, did you ever upgrade the PSU? If so, to what model? If not, I still say this "might" be a power issue. I'd also contact Gigabyte and see if they have a beta bios out. The Anandtech article I read referenced generally that the memory problems with this MOBO were bios related.

Mike .

I've updated the BIO's but still no progress :(

So I've updated the BIO's, new PSU, new RAM, only thing left I guess is the MOBO :(

There arent any other settings that I should have to change? The only thing I've changed is the voltage which I've set to 2.1V.

hmmm one thing I have noticed is that there is a ATX socket thats 8 pins...but 4 of them have a cover over them so I've only plugged in the 4 Plug connector, should i remove the cover and plug in the 8 pin??

Can you post a digi pic of what you are talking about? I'd need to see the MOBO up close. I don't have that model so I don't want to give bad advice.

Mike .

Archived