Corsair Community

Please Help...Pleeeeease

SJPistolero

Just put together this new rig, Asus p5n32-sli premium, x6800, 2X 7900gtx in sli, X-fi elite, 2x Plextor RW dvd burners, 2x WD 74gb Raptors in Raid 0, Silverstone Zeus 750 watt psu. I bought 4gb of CM2X1024-6400C4PRO to put in this rig. When I use 2gb in dual channel mode, settings of 4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.1v, the system runs fine and stable. If I install the other two modules, it wont boot (not even POST). All I get is a long intermittent beep. Anybody have any ideas? I know the memory is not bad since I've tested both sets of modules individually. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I'd hate to say this, but the P5N32-SLI series does not officially support DDR2-800/PC2-6400 memory. (The original nForce4 Intel Edition chipset only supports up to DDR2-667/PC2-5300 memory.) You'll have to run the memory at DDR2-667/PC2-5300 speed (or if you're using four sticks, you may have to drop your memory clockspeed to DDR2-533/PC2-4200 speed).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that RJ, thanks. Additionally, the 570/590 chipset MOBOs are NOT known for OCing well. However, the user may be able to OC somewhat and get the memory speed up. Only way to tell is trial and error. You could start at stock speed for CPU and 667 for memory and try to slowly work up from there. However, you are not going to get much of an OC with 4 DIMMs.

Mike.

Why 4 GB?

You're attempting to use the tested settings for 2 sticks in a 4 stick configuration. this won't always work. loosen the timings. also, what's the version / lot # of each pair? **lablel**

All 4 sticks are xms6404v1.3, all 4 have the same lot# 0637358-1. What timings do you recommend? Do I keep the same voltage, 2.1v? This board has the Nv 590 chipset and its supposed to handle 800mhz memory. The bios is v0401, which is the only version out right now. I wanted 4gigs so that if/when I upgrade to Vista I wont have any issues. I know that I may have to upgrade the video cards to work with DX10, but I figure that may be a year down the road. Thanks for your help. When I see what timings you recommend, I'll try it and let you know.

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1325&l1=3&l2=11&l3=337

From ASUS:

Dual channel memory architecture

4 x DIMM, max. 8GB, DDR2-800(OC)/667/533, non-ECC, un-buffered memory

You'll note 2 things here. First, you will ONLY get DDR2-800 if you OC, which is what is noted above. This means that this is NOT official support of the DDR800 standard. Second, the chipset can address 4 DIMMs. However, as you load the memory controller in that manner (4 DIMMs vs 2 DIMMs) then you will drastically reduce the amount you can OC.

I'd suggest this:

Only way to tell is trial and error. You could start at stock speed for CPU and 667 for memory and try to slowly work up from there. However, you are not going to get much of an OC with 4 DIMMs.

Mike

MIKE, YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!!

I did not get what I wanted (i.e. 800mhz speed), but at least I have 4 working memory modules. I set the bios to 667, 5-5-5-12-2t and everything works. My only regret is having spent almost $800 for this memory.

So tell me, why would it be different OC'ing 4 stick as opposed to 2? Everything about these sticks is identical.

Glad to help. Hopefully, you can OC up some and get close(er) to the speed you wanted.

Electrically, any chipset is limited to how many ranks of memory it can address. Regardless of what the limit is, 4 DIMMs is 2x the load of 2 DIMMs. Among other things, the MCH (Intel calls a Northbridge a M emory C ontroller H ub) generates much more heat and requires more power to run at a given speed. When you are OCing you are exceeding that speed at which the MCH was designed to run. So, the MCH has more work to do, at a speed faster than it was designed to do, and it is going to get much hotter doing it. There is a LOT more to it but, those are the main factors.

You may want to Google and/or have a look at some OCing forums to see if you can find others having the same MOBO. My guess is that most will have 2 DIMMs but, it will give you a starting point or some reference for your system.

Good luck, Mike.

So tell me, why would it be different OC'ing 4 stick as opposed to 2? Everything about these sticks is identical.

With 4 sticks, there is substantially increased loading on the memory controller. The memory controller on the motherboard works best with only 4 banks of memory (note that 4 banks do not always equal 4 sticks). At this point all 1GB sticks of DDR2 memory are double-sided; thus, 4x1GB sticks equals a whopping 8 banks of memory - too much for the memory controller to handle at the memory modules' rated speed and timings.

Thanks Guys, you're the best!!!!!!!!

hey mike, I noticed that one of your systems is a little similar to a gamer I just put together. I was wondering if you could suggest some of the more important settings I can tweak (yes, I'm a nubee) in the bios and what those settings should be. Here's my gamer;

A8N32-SLI Premium, AMD FX-57, Zalman CNPS9500 HSF, 2X BFG 7900GT OC, 2gb CMX1024-3200PT, OCZ 700watt PSU. I have tried using nvidia's Ntune but it doesn't make very much difference. Don't know if the bios settings are not allowing the cpu parameters to be changed. The ASUS manual is about as useless at it gets for a new-guy. Thanks Mike.

Archived