Corsair Community

Weird operating outcomes with an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

Dimal

Hi,

Have been having fun and games with the above mobo and trying to get it to POST with a set of of TwinX1024-3200C2. Won't POST with both inserted, won't POST with either one inserted singly :confused: .

Here's a link to the nForcersHQ forum for a full description rather than repeat it all over again....http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/previous-vt68032.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Would be very interested in anyone's comments that might throw some light on what is going on exactly. All the best and thanks in advance :): ,

Mal.

quote of your initial post from the other site:

Hi All,

Upgraded my system recently via a new mobo above, new nVidia 7600GS card and Athlon64 3500+ (Venice). Carried over from original system... Corsair 1.0GB TwinX3200 C2 in slots A1, B1, 2 x SATA HDDs, Antec 480W Truepower PSU and other DVD-RW drives, etc.

After initial build, system ran as sweet as could be for a couple of weeks. We've got summer coming here in a little while (45 C daytime temps) so bought a Thermalright Ultra-120 Heatsink with a Panaflow 60+ CFM fan. Fitted this without the slightest hiccup but when I connected everything back up again, the system would not POST.... Fans all run up, front panel Power LED is On, as is HDD LED, Floppy goes through seek routine. Double and Triple checked all the connections inside and tried again.... Still the same.

Tried all the usual tricks using single RAM sticks, and swapping around, etc.... Nothing. Eventually disconnected everything except CPU, Graphics Card and single stick of RAM in DIMM Slot B1 as per manual.... Nothing. Powered off and removed AC Plug from PSU, reset CMOS via removal of battery, move jumper to pins 2 and 3 and after 10 seconds replaced back on pins 1 and 2. Replaced AC plug and powered up again.... Green Power LED below PCI3 socket lights up ok, hit the start button..... A big nada. Swapped Graphics card for a known good PCI card..... Zilch. Swapped PSU for a known good Enermax 520W unit... Still no change.

Right, so got on the phone to the vendor I bought everything from and explained what was going on. Made arrangements to return everything the following day for them to check out in their workshop (300 Kms away from where we live). In a nutshell, they plugged all the necessary bits and pieces in, powered up and started..... [burger] me if the damn thing didn't start up and POST immediately. System then shut down and HDDs were connected and powered up. Started again with no hesitation but took ages to boot into WinXP Pro SP2 (very unusual, is normally very quick). Once Windows was loaded, system shutdown to try a restart. It took absolutely ages to shutdown.... probably about 10 minutes where it usually takes maybe 15 seconds. Very strange. Seems as though something has become corrupted on the main 'C' Drive?

Anyway, after appearing to be very foolish in front of the vendor's workshop techs and apparently knowing nothing about computers, we went back home. After about a 3 hour return trip, set about plugging everything back in, powering up again and hit the start button. The computer was left exactly 'as is' from the vendor's workshop. It seemed to fire up ok and Windows did its very weird slow load. After the desktop eventually appeared, decided that a Windows 'Repair Installation' would be the quickest to try and get the o/s sorted out, so did this as per the usual means.

System seemed to load ok and rebooted ok when needed. It was at the last hurdle where the system needs to reboot for the last time and this time, the damn thing would not POST again. Tried all the things I tried above but it wouldn't POST. Stuck at this for about 4 hours all told but no joy. Rang the vendor back up the next day and told them it was [burger] again, they were not very convinced by this announcement however given the outcome in their workshop the day before. So, I made a brief video of trying to start the PC, swapping components and all the rest and thought to myself, I'll show them.

This time, the motherboard and other hardware was posted back to them after which they received it all the next day. You can't believe my disappointment when later that day, I received an Email from the vendor stating that everything fired up ok and runs without problems. I just couldn't believe it (I've been involved with PCs and computers in general for a couple of decades) and for whatever reason, they refused to believe the veracity of the VideoCD I sent down with the hardware showing them as clear as crystal that the system wouldn't POST here at home.

Well, what to do now.....? The vendor's business is basically on the coast at sea level while we are located at an elevation of about 1,600 Feet ASL. I started to think that maybe there is a faulty Capacitor or three that is being effected by the changes in atmospheric pressure from our place down to the vendor's? In short, they wouldn't have a bar of that idea as their techs are not really techs, just guys with experience assembling PCs and swapping parts around until something works or breaks. As it happens, I have an engineering background that is based in very complex industrial electronics and other systems so the concept mentioned above isn't unheard of in practice.

Just wondering, has anyone ever had this type of problem at all and if so, was the cause ever identified as being attributed to faulty capacitor(s)? The vendor is not interested in helping me out what so ever with an RMA so I have now been in touch with Asus Support and will hopefully receive some satisfaction from them. What is particularly difficult though, we live in a rural area and I don't have access to similar components that I could substitute in a logical sequence in the hope of proving that the motherboard is wacky. If I did, it'd be on video and off to the Australian Asus Distributor in a flash along with my request for a replacement board.

Would be very interested if anyone else has had similar troubles. All the best,

Mal.

• Corsair Employee
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hi,

This is all well and good and have already done all of what has been suggested. The problem is, the board will NOT boot up with default BIOS settings with this RAM inserted, i.e. for some peculiar reason the board is unable to detect the RAM's SPD defaults and run. It's not much good if the only way I can ever get this board to POST with Corsair RAM is to insert a stick that can be detected by the board, then change the latency settings to suit the TwinX, install the TwinX and then boot up. Bearing in mind that I get the same outcome with BOTH sticks running singly, according to you it is NOT likely to be the RAM that is at fault. How then can I prove what it is that is at fault? Have tried the RAM in my DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra-D board and in this board it is detected properly and boots up without problems.

Also, I am no newby at this, have been working with complex systems, including Minis, Micros and PCs for a couple of decades so although I realise that you are just trying to be helpful, no newby responses please. If you want to read right through everything I have already tried, go to the nForcersHQ link I provided above and read through a couple of pages of info there, not just the excerpt that Wired has pasted in. All the best,

Mal.

• Corsair Employee

Mal,

The point is: Did you test the modules one at a time that was not clear to me in what you had posted and if the answer is yes; did you get the same results with both modules one up? If the answer is yes then I would suspect some other problem and testing the modules in a known working system would be advisable. If you have and both modules are still failing again that would suggest some other issue or problem and the MB or PSU may be causing premature failure. I have no problem replacing the modules for you, but what you have posted would suggest another potential problem.

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

G'day RAM GUY,

As I had pointed out before, YES I have tried the modules singly and in this scenario, the motherboard will not detect the memory at all. I agree with you that there is most likely something going on with the motherboard as I have tried swapping all other components out to another motherboard and they work fine in that situation.

I appreciate your taking the time to assist me but it looks like I will now have to approach the motherboard manufacturer to try and have this matter resolved once and for all. Thanks again and all the best,

Mal.

G'day RAM GUY,

As I had pointed out before, YES I have tried the modules singly and in this scenario, the motherboard will not detect the memory at all. I agree with you that there is most likely something going on with the motherboard as I have tried swapping all other components out to another motherboard and they work fine in that situation.

I appreciate your taking the time to assist me but it looks like I will now have to approach the motherboard manufacturer to try and have this matter resolved once and for all. Thanks again and all the best,

Mal.

I think you will find what you need to know in the first few posts here: http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/

Archived