Corsair Community

2 GB Flash Voyager Slow

bobc

My first Flash Voyager was replaced due to slow write times (200 KB/sec) and while this unit is faster it's still much slow than the specs indicate and much slower using an identical application than an external Iomega HDD also connected via USB 2. Rather than request another replacement I'd like to understand if there's another fix. Some information: Application=BackupMyPC6; Backing up 1.4 GB to the Iomega takes 4 minutes with an average write speed of 5.964 MB/sec. Backing up 1.1 GB to the Voyager takes 50 minutes for an average write speed of 361 KB/sec. I've run the tests with both units connected to the system (Dell D-600 Laptop, 1 GB memory) and with the units connected separately to the same port with essentially identical results. No other application software was running when the tests were done and the tests have been run both on and off the network. After reading some of the posts here I also ran the Drive Speed software. The small read and write were not dramatically differenent although the Iomega was always faster. The overall write speed test was very different with the Iomega running over 4 times faster. The file copy speed (10 MB) was also dramatically different with the Iomega almost 10 times faster. Frankly all things being equal I'd expect a solid state device to be faster unless the specs were very different. The rating however for the Corsair is far above the performance and quite a bit above the speed of the Iomega during the test.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Yes, well that's where I went to download HD Tach. I did select the Flash Drive but it runs only 4 tests automatically and none of the are write oriented from I can tell. You get Burst Speed results (19.5 MB/s); Random Access results (33.7 ms); CPU Utilization (18%); and Average Read (16.7 MB/s). If you're able to run the application from their site then I don't know how to do that. I downloaded the current version (3.0.1.0). Should I have downloaded the non-supported version (2.7)? There's also a button for a beta version of HD Tach for Flash Drives but it just gets you to a survey. I feel like I'm missing something here but I'm not sure what. Thanks for the continuing help.

Archived