Corsair Community

Incompatible or bad memory

SharkByte

Around this time in 2004 I purchased teh following:

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

I've built a new PC with XP on it and the components listed in my profile.

I got XP loaded not using this RAM because while the RAM was in, I got blue stop screen errors. I'm sure this is compatible because I saw it on the list of what will work with Windows XP. I had this in it's original packaging unopened until this week. NewEgg won't do anything about it because it's been so long since I purchased it but Corsair says that their memory modules have a lifetime warranty. Can I send this memory in to be tested or replaced? I read somewhere that perhaps it's a BIOS setting. THAT WOULD BE GREAT, expect for that fact that when the memory is loaded the screen hangs at the MOBO screen.

PLEASE HELP!!

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

When the memory is in my system, I can't even get to BIOS to set defaults.

Everywhere I look it shows that this RAM should work with my system so I'm thinking I got sent bad memory.

The problem now is that I haven't seen the slip inside the packaging that shows the model numbers.......it may have gotten thrown away.

WHAT CAN I DO?

Yes, there are two other sticks of memory in the other banks. (DON'T ASK ME WHAT KIND) I do know that they are DDR 333 and these ones I bought are DDR 400. However I know that my board supports it.

I've tried all combinations. I've tried using just the RAM in question in banks 1,3 and 2,4 and right now I'm running with just two sticks of 128MB in banks 2,4.

I have not tested the RAM, I don't have resources to test with. I couldn't find a version of memtest I could boot to in order to try it, but like I said I think my PC will just freeze when it boots.

I'm assuming you meant "mix", saying that I have to use memory that's all the same speed, rather than mixing 333 and 400. I'll try just the Corsair in memory banks 1,3 and 2,4 (paired for dual channel). Thanks for the info.

Do you have any other recommendations other than the Voltage? I know there are latency or timings or something like that.....

You cannot mix memory with this platform, I would suggest testing the system with just our modules and load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts.

I've loaded just your modules with the setup defaults and Vt as you said.

One module works, the other does not. PC reboots or go to stop error screen with both or just the one bad module in, no matter what DIMM slot.

I have the other good one in and it works fine.

Please let me know what I need to do in order to have the bad module replaced.

• Corsair Employees

Let's get them both replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! And please note that you are from the forum!

And no you cannot mix memory even the same speed but different timings will not work and in some cases I have seen where different IC's of the same speed and timings will not run together!

I had some troubles submitting the RMA.

I can't find the stickers and other info that I pulled from the units when I used them. I had it all somewhere but not sure where it is now.

They ask for Lot and serial numbers on both modules and I don't know where I can find that out. I emailed them some information I was able to read from the actual modules themselves, but not sure if that will help or not.

Please help! I'd like to get these replaced as soon as possible.

I got the following message from Tech Support earlier:

On 10/23/2006 8:12:00 PM you sent a message to Corsair Technical Support with regards to the following: I'm having problems identifying the Lot code and Serial number for the DIMM's I'm returning.

The following information is on one of the DIMM's:

VALUESELECT

VS32M8-5

IN1100435

On the plastic packaging are the following sequences:

20-145-440(369059)

0BZSBK0200000Y1

I'm trying to fill out an RMA to get these modules replaced. I purchased the VS1GBKIT400 and one of the two modules is bad. I am member SharkByte of the tech forums and RAM GUY said we should get both modules replaced.

Corsair Technical Support Responds: I am sorry about the issues you are having, I think it would be best to go ahead and replace the modules for you. Please go to http://corsair.com/corsair/rma_request.html and fill out the form with all the required information. In the "Ticket#/PostID#" field please enter "99999" for your authorization. If after 1 day or 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays, you do not get the RMA please send an email to warranty@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

What they left out is that I told them I don't have the stickers that are affixed to the modules. I provided them with all of the information that I could. I can send a copy of the packing slip that came with them if that would help but I have no other information. Is the part number listed on the modules themselves??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived