Corsair Community

Confused about upgrading

GoTnEsKiNz

Ok the Corsair configurator tells me I need to use Corsair CMSS1GB-533 which is fair enough but on searching around looking for the best prices for this I came across this: Corsair Value DDR2 VS2GBKIT533D2 2048MB PC2-4200 which is a lot cheaper. My question to you technical guys is whats the difference between the CMSS1GB-533 and the VS2GBKIT533D2?

Thanks in advance

Use our easy Memory Finder and we'll show you the memory that takes your system to the next level. Our System Select memory is guaranteed to be compatible with your computer and comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
The system select is precertified to work with the recommended systems. In many cases, finding memory to replace OEM stuff can be hard so Corsair made the CSS line.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/system_select.html

The Value Select may well work but, I don't think it is officially tested with your specific system or manufacturer.

Mike.

• Corsair Employees

The VS1GSDS533D2 and CMSS1GB-533SOD modules are functionally the same. CMSS parts are built with a restricted bill of materials deemed to provide the best compatibility with OEM systems. As such, we often do not have the capability to use low cost material.

CMSS parts are guaranteed to be compatible. If there is a problem, we will work with you to fix it, or give you your money back if we can not. VS parts are guaranteed (with a lifetime warranty) to be good parts, but we do not guarantee compatibility with any particular systems. If a VS part does not work, it gets tested and either repaired or (usually) replaced with another VS part.

I expect that the VS part will work correctly in your system. And, of course, Corsair's lifetime warranty is in full effect if it does not. Our confidence of first pass success is highest, however, with CMSS parts.

Archived