Corsair Community

A8N32-SLI won't Post in Dual Channel

Rychean

I just bought a set of TWINX-2048 3200 modules (CMX1024-3200 v6.1 x2) for my A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo and I cannot get the system to post in Dual Channel. I've set the memory timings to 3-3-3-8 per suggestion but I get no beep as long as two modules are installed.

I've tested both modules individually and the system boots and seems to work just fine in single channel. The system also POSTs and operates just fine with a pair of CMX512-3200C2PT modules.

I've tried Primary and secondary DIMM slots, Different Power Supply (ANtec 550 Neo HE), to no avail.

I've run out of things to try.

I've tried the Matched pair of 1G modules which will not post. A Matched pair of CMX512-3200C2PT Modules that I borrowed from another PC will post and operate just fine. No, I have not mixed any of the modules, I simply want the two new 1G modules to work by themselves in dual channel mode for a total capacity of 2G)

Thank you for the tip on the power supply as this explains some of the intermittent wierdness I have seen, but I have since boxed up and returned the NeoHE in favor of a Corsair 520 PSU which I hope to receive any day now.

As far as the TWINX-2048 memory not posting in DUAL Channel, I have that problem with either Power Supply (Thermaltake TP430 or Neo HE 550) The Thermaltake PS works just fine with the 2x 512 modules installed.

I am anxious to see what will happen once I install the Corsair PSU since it is a much more robust unit, but I suspect that it will not solve my memory compatibility issue. SHould I just return the 3200 modules and upgrade to the 3200C2 modules? Any other suggestions before I do so?

This seems to be the module of choice for most A8N32-SLI owners

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same problem with a M2N-SLI Deluxe

System Specs.

AMD 64 x2 5200+

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2

******** GameXtreme 700w

Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 2x1GB sticks (xms6405v5.1) 5-5-5-12

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music

Western Digital Raptor 36GB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Liteon SHM-165H6S

Mitsumi FA404A-BK

Antec Nine Hundred

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard USB

Logitech G7 Laser 2.4GHZ Cordless Mouse USB

When first booting my system after being off overnight (any where from 6-10 hours) the system will start and fans will spin, but no video signal and no beep error code. At this point turning the system off with the power switch will work 25% of the time, 75% I have to use the PSU switch to turn it off. Eventually I will be able to turn the system off with the power switch, but still no video signal. Not too much longer I will receive my first beep error code 1 long 2 short, for this mother board it means ram errors. After turning on and off a few more times I'll get a full boot with video and 1 beep, a error message will flash on my screen that the bios did not fully load or was interrupted and press F1 to continue or del to enter bios. If I enter the bios a few settings will have changed and my bios will act strange, even locking up on me a couple of times (first time for me, a bios lock up, WTF??). If on the other hand I go straight into WinXP 50% of the time I'll get a random stop error as XP starts to load (different every time) or it will boot to desktop, and then eventually either give me a stop error or simply lock up. This will happen 2-3 times and then the system will become totally stable, and I'm able to game for hours, even 4-5 hours straight of WoW.

Ok this is where it really gets weird, I find that the sequence of events is time sensitive. If I turn the system off for anything less then a 1/2 hour, boots up fine, stable as a rock. For 2 hours the problems are around the bios did not load section but reciving 1 beep and a video signal is present, and so on.

The longer the system is off the worse the problems are when I turn it back on.

Diagnostics I've tried:

Prime95, and Memtest. Both will run fine even if I over clock both ram and cpu once the system has reached the final stable state. Before reaching state Prime95 kicks out fairly early, Memtest won't find any errors but the system will lock up at some point in the test.

Solutions I've tried:

Turn off everything in the bios that I didn't need. Re-seat everything including bios battery. Replace bios battery, even though my bios was retaining most of my settings. Update bios (twice). Try every windows driver I could. Manually set ram timings. Increase Ram voltage as high as 2.2 before I chickened out. Reduced memory speed to 667. Tried each matched memory slots with the 2 sticks. Tried 1 stick of ram (each module in all 4 slots).

The 2 things that seem to effect the system some what is upping the voltage, which made the system reach the stable point right after it finally booted up with video and 1 beep. No stop errors or lock ups. The other is booting with one stick of ram, where it will boot no problems right to desktop. What's more is if I don't let the system go past the post by turning it off with the tower power button, I can install the second stick and boot in 800mhz dual channel mode, where the system is totally stable just like it would be if I had gone through the entire boot up nightmare. Even if the memory is set to all it's defaults.

So is it:

A: Faulty mother board?

B: Faulty ram?

C: Faulty memory controller (CPU)?

D: Faulty PSU?

E: Faulty Bios?

F: Faulty video card?

G: An incompatibility?

I'm at my wits end on this one. What's really ironic is the box the MB came in has printed on it XMS2 ready. This really scares me because how would my system act with memory it wasn't ready for, explode?

• 2 months later...
I have the same problem with a M2N-SLI Deluxe

System Specs.

AMD 64 x2 5200+

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2

******** GameXtreme 700w

Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 2x1GB sticks (xms6405v5.1) 5-5-5-12

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX

Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music

Western Digital Raptor 36GB

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Liteon SHM-165H6S

Mitsumi FA404A-BK

Antec Nine Hundred

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 Keyboard USB

Logitech G7 Laser 2.4GHZ Cordless Mouse USB

When first booting my system after being off overnight (any where from 6-10 hours) the system will start and fans will spin, but no video signal and no beep error code. At this point turning the system off with the power switch will work 25% of the time, 75% I have to use the PSU switch to turn it off. Eventually I will be able to turn the system off with the power switch, but still no video signal. Not too much longer I will receive my first beep error code 1 long 2 short, for this mother board it means ram errors. After turning on and off a few more times I'll get a full boot with video and 1 beep, a error message will flash on my screen that the bios did not fully load or was interrupted and press F1 to continue or del to enter bios. If I enter the bios a few settings will have changed and my bios will act strange, even locking up on me a couple of times (first time for me, a bios lock up, WTF??). If on the other hand I go straight into WinXP 50% of the time I'll get a random stop error as XP starts to load (different every time) or it will boot to desktop, and then eventually either give me a stop error or simply lock up. This will happen 2-3 times and then the system will become totally stable, and I'm able to game for hours, even 4-5 hours straight of WoW.

Ok this is where it really gets weird, I find that the sequence of events is time sensitive. If I turn the system off for anything less then a 1/2 hour, boots up fine, stable as a rock. For 2 hours the problems are around the bios did not load section but reciving 1 beep and a video signal is present, and so on.

The longer the system is off the worse the problems are when I turn it back on.

Diagnostics I've tried:

Prime95, and Memtest. Both will run fine even if I over clock both ram and cpu once the system has reached the final stable state. Before reaching state Prime95 kicks out fairly early, Memtest won't find any errors but the system will lock up at some point in the test.

Solutions I've tried:

Turn off everything in the bios that I didn't need. Re-seat everything including bios battery. Replace bios battery, even though my bios was retaining most of my settings. Update bios (twice). Try every windows driver I could. Manually set ram timings. Increase Ram voltage as high as 2.2 before I chickened out. Reduced memory speed to 667. Tried each matched memory slots with the 2 sticks. Tried 1 stick of ram (each module in all 4 slots).

The 2 things that seem to effect the system some what is upping the voltage, which made the system reach the stable point right after it finally booted up with video and 1 beep. No stop errors or lock ups. The other is booting with one stick of ram, where it will boot no problems right to desktop. What's more is if I don't let the system go past the post by turning it off with the tower power button, I can install the second stick and boot in 800mhz dual channel mode, where the system is totally stable just like it would be if I had gone through the entire boot up nightmare. Even if the memory is set to all it's defaults.

So is it:

A: Faulty mother board?

B: Faulty ram?

C: Faulty memory controller (CPU)?

D: Faulty PSU?

E: Faulty Bios?

F: Faulty video card?

G: An incompatibility?

I'm at my wits end on this one. What's really ironic is the box the MB came in has printed on it XMS2 ready. This really scares me because how would my system act with memory it wasn't ready for, explode?

SAME PROBLEM WITH M2N32 DELUXE

i can only use 1 gb ram (2 x 512 xms) when i put 2 gb in dual channel (4 x 512) computer freezes, boots, and other weird things. already tried both pairs independtly and runs fine

i dunno what to do... can anyone help me pls????

• 1 month later...

Some mobo's don't like when you change(or add for the first time) RAM in multiple stick in one shot.

Attach 1 stick of your RAM, boot the computer , wait until it goes in Windows, then shutdown. Now add your second memory stick, ad turn on the computer. It should work now.

• 6 months later...

I have been using the A8N32-SLI since launch. After I purchased this board, it was announced that there is a known issue with the Dimm slots. If I shut down my system at times it will not post. Or if it does it will only work in single channel. I have to remove the memory from the board and reseat them, untill it posts and runs in dual channel mode.

I have used TwinX1048-3200 XMS Pro and TwinX2048-3200 XMS Xpert at different periods. And used both the A1 + B1 plus A2 with B2 and have the same problem.

• 4 weeks later...

m2nsli-deluxe----64 x2 6400black

I set bios to default,,,,,,,,put in one stick at a time ran memory test,,,ok

put in both sticks a1 and b1 dual channel,,,hdd no boot

then a1 a2 single-------ok

then a2 b2 hdd booted--windows---2min hang asus booster came up, hang

checked bios set to manual,, should not come up,,,,,so disable booster,,

a1 a2 ok a1 b1 yes baby,,, running in dual

ocz2g800r22gk

will post back when I reload booster and try to let it run,,then nos 108%

Yes bios 1203,,,switched from fx-62 to x2 6400,,had to update,,yes a little faster,,,,,,, rar-music edit-- a lot

no not running raid,,,,,if this board had raid 7,,,then yes otherwise it useless,,,,do some research,,,,there are some 7000's

that get better than raptors in raid--0,1,5

under 10% gain to me is useless

Archived