Corsair Community

Twinx512-3200LL underclocks w. CPU OC??

I am presently trying to OC my rig:

P4 Northwood (4x200 FSB) 2.8 GHz @ (4x235 FSB) 3.3 GHz

Asus P4C800 Mobo

4x256 MB Twinx512-3200LL dual channel modules

For some odd reason the ram modules are running at reduced speed (2x200 --> 2x189) when I OC the CPU. If I manually force 2x200 at this OC setting, the system will not start. Can someone please explain to me, why this occurs?

I'm a newcommer to OC so please bear with me if I have simply misunderstood the obvious. I simply assumed that I got a nice OC potential, when bying Corsair memory, so this is somewhat of a dissapointment to me :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Before you buy new RAM, set your RAM Latency timings to higher (looser) values. These timings determine how many clock cycles go by before an action can take place. RAM needs a certain ammount of time before it can perform that action, so as you increase your clock speed, the latency needs to be higher for the same amount of time to go by.

Click the Memory Basics presentation and go to section 22. CAS Latency for a better, more indepth explanation.

I read your specs after the rest of your post and want to add: A set of 2 DIMMS will perform better than a set of 4. So depending on how much money you have to upgrade, you may want to buy a new TWINX set of RAM that is certified to run at a higher clock and has the capacity that you want.

Your memory controller may be the reason why your memory is clocking slower than the bus. While manufacturers make 4 DIMM slots available on most modern boards, memory controllers may have a hard time configuring when all the DIMMs are present. For the best performance a 2 DIMM Dual Channel setup is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived