Corsair Community

CM2X1024-5400C4 Test

chopperno5

Hi,

I have been having problems with my system which looked memory related, bit of a long story but i would imagine that's usual. Anyways i have sent the memory back to my supplier for them to test, which they are doing for the second time as they only ran 8 passes on it previously. They are planning on sending it back to me saying it's not faulty a second time so thought i would get the ball rolling with you guys and maybe even troubleshoot the situation.

I ran the memory through some tests before sending it away, here are the test i ran with as much information as i have, this is in an e-mail i sent to my supplier so a few things would relate to them:

First test I ran, BIOS settings as specified by corsair. Ran the test and received 1 error. I may have more information at home but think this was around 18 passes of the test. And it failed on test 7.

Second test was with default BIOS settings. This reported 2 errors but can't recall the amount of passes or when the test failed.

Third test, I removed one of the memory sticks that was situated in the second channel, 3rd slot on my motherboard I believe. This run for 80+ passes and there were no errors reported.

Fourth test I ran, swapping the sticks over on the same channel (1st slot), this returned an error on the first pass through. Ran for another 5 passes but thought one error proved the point.

Fifth test I thought I would make sure that there could be nothing wrong with the original slot the faulty stick was in by putting the stick that passed 80+ into the second channel (slot 3 - see third test). This has run stable for 30+ passes and some use of the computer and I am still running this test at home as we speak.

From the above tests I would guess that the second stick that errored in the fourth test is the reason for the crashing that I am experiencing. What do you think? I may have further information at home, or are there any other tests that we can run to confirm what's wrong?

From what i can gather from the tests i have run is that it's one of the sticks rather than the motherboard or chipset as i have run what i think is the good stick on both slots for a large amount of passes with no errors or even crashes while running the system. I unfortunately don't have any alternative memory to hand to test this, and my supllier currently has mine so any opinion you have of the above tests would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

If you could make head or tail of that post not to worry, have contacted my supplier to clarify the tests they ran the second time.

They have stated that they ran the tests on the memory sticks individually and found a fault so are now replacing the units.

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XM2S-5400C4 Cass 4-4-4-12 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Archived