Corsair Community

Adding a 1GB stick?

Doclukin

Hi,

I am currently using the following Memory, Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair) timed at 2-3-3-6 on a AN8 SLI Premium MB

I would like to upgrade to 2 GB and saw this 1GB stick, which has the same timings:

1Gb Corsair XMS DDR PC3200 (400), 184 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 2-3-3-6

can I just install this 1 GB stick along side my matched pair or do i need to use another matched pair.

I realise this is probably a really simple question but if you don't ask you don't know, right?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but with this MB and or platform you cannot mix memory. I would suggest replacing the modules you have now for best performance with Twinx2048-3200C2, but if you want to add to what you have now you will need to match the modules part# and the same revision that you currently have.

Hi,

I am currently using the following Memory, Corsair (TWINX1024-3200C2PT) 1024MB (2 x 512MB Matched Pair) timed at 2-3-3-6 on a AN8 SLI Premium MB

I would like to upgrade to 2 GB and saw this 1GB stick, which has the same timings:

1Gb Corsair XMS DDR PC3200 (400), 184 Pins, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 2-3-3-6

can I just install this 1 GB stick along side my matched pair or do i need to use another matched pair.

I realise this is probably a really simple question but if you don't ask you don't know, right?

Thanks.

As the RAM GUY said, you should not mix different modules. The 1GB sticks use completely different IC chips than their 512MB product mates (in the case of the Corsair XMS/TWINX series modules and kits), which will increase the likelihood of major problems. Furthermore, in your case (an AMD platform with a dual-channel memory controller and four DIMM slots), you should not operate your system with only three DIMM slots filled, leaving only one DIMM slot empty: If your system even POSTs at all, your memory speed will drop to DDR333/PC2700 speed and be forced to run in single-channel-only mode (both of which combined will seriously degrade the overall system performance).

Archived