Corsair Community

Trouble with a CM2X512A-6400

waahooo

This memory stick seems to mess up whenever I try dual channeling with it. I recently bought a new computer using four of the same memory sticks, but my computer kept crashing from the windows stop error. I ran the Prime95 torture test with each stick separately, but it seemed pretty stable, so I ran the tests again using two sticks at a time and eventually singled out the stick that caused the problems. It seems like it works fine when it's by itself but when it's dual channeling, it malfunctions. Now I've been using the remaining three sticks and it hasn't crashed yet.

• Corsair Employees
Please try if you have not done so and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and see if that will sove the problem. If not then I have no problem replacing them, Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Tried testing it again but it failed after an hour.

However, since I bought the Twin2X's, would I have to return two as a pair, not just the defective one? I forgot which pair came with which package, since I bought two of them. Is it okay for me to return any two? Also, I wrote a small number on each memory stick with a pecil, just so I could keep track of which stick I used when I was testing them. Does that affect the warrenty?

I bought 2 orders of Twin2X 1024A-6400, so I have four modules all together. Their part numbers are all the same (CM2X512A-6400).

I ran the tests using all four connected to my computer, and that's when it failed in an hour. I'll try testing them in pairs again, but I don't know which two came with which. Would there be a way to find out?

Edit: I think I found the answer to my question. There's a number on the warrenty sticker on each module, and they are paired. I'm assuming the memory sticks with the same numbers are the paired ones?

Sorry, I may not be seeing something, but that link doesn't help me figure out which two modules came together. All four memory sticks have the same part number, version number, and lot number. There are only two differences between these four modules: the serial number, which the are in chronological order (xxxxxxx47, ...48, ...49, ...50), and the number on the warrenty sticker. The modules with the serial number 47 and 48 share the same warrenty number and 49 and 50 share the same warrenty number. These are the pairs, right?

Test results:

Pair #1 - About 3 hours into the test my computer restarted.

Under 2.1 volts - Test failed in under two minutes. Tried it again and test failed in under one minute.

Pair #2 - Test failed after 10+ hours and computer froze.

Under 2.1 volts - 15+ hours, had no problems, stopped the test myself.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Under memtest, one pair ran for 24 hours without errors and the other pair had 5 errors in less than 2 hours. I guess I'll send that one back for a replacement.

Thanks for all your help.

Also, what would be the optimal settings for using all four modules?

I updated my BIOS and set memory voltage to 2.1v, timings to 5-5-5-12, and disabled legacy USB.

I just found out on the corsair website that the preferred timings for the Twin2X 1024A-6400 is 5-5-5-15. However, the lable on the memory sticks said 5-5-5-12, so I used those numbers.

I didn't really notice which test# caused errors because the FAQ on memtest forums said that trying to figure out memtest results are useless. But if I remember correctly, I think I saw test# 7 caused errors.

Should I run the tests again at 5-5-5-15?

I tested each pair again for 12 hours and got no errors. Then tested using all four together for another 12 hours and got no errors.

I set voltage to 2.1, frequency to 800Mhz, timings to 5-5-5-15, and disabled legacy usb.

I think the problem is fixed. Thank you for your help again.

Wait, no, the problem is not fixed. My computer restarted again, the same way it did when the problems began. I was using all four memory sticks when this happened.

For about a week my computer has been running fine using one pair of modules, leaving the other pair out because I thought they were the bad ones. But after the recent tests, I thought the problem was fixed. I guess the other pair are still bad.

I kept the settings the same as when I was running Memtest, except that I enabled legacy usb. Could that have been the problem?

Archived