Corsair Community

Bad RMA modules....

Rapier

Im really at my whit's end with this now .

I firstly bought this ram on 06-09-2006 to find one of the sticks firstly did not run at all, ie BSOD before even getting into windows and the second stick would BSOD at least once an hour, both modules would not run at 5-5-5-12@2.1v and this is at stock memory. So i thought ok no problem, it happens and sent them off to be RMA'd received my new ram on 13-10-06 (getting the RMA number took almost as long!), Corsair received my ram on 05-10-06 so not a bad turn around considering i live in the UK.

Stick it in my system and great they get into windows at 5-5-5-12@2.1v and running at 1:1. Orthos test my cpu and its stable for 12 hours, stress test the ram and it fails within 1 minute. So try each stick one at a time and both fail prime, one fails within a minute and one fails after 2 hours of stress testing also tried with the the fsb at 266 at 3:2 multiplier as opposed to the 8x400 at 1:1 im at now. Both modules also fail memtest. No sign of any BSOD or anything, totally different symptoms to the last batch i received.

3Dmark06 score with both modules in the system is 4800~ and score with the module that can be primed for 2 hours is 6300~.

I think im just going to cut my losses now and buy from a competitor as im now looking at having a machine running with no ram for over 2 months, which is just not acceptable in my opinion. Is there any kind of compensation for this or will i have to go straight to the retailer?

My modules are Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5

• Corsair Employees

I would try and set the timings to By SPD and see if the system is more stable, from what others have reported it might be some other problem and letting the MB set the timings automaticly may solve the problem. In addition, you need to disable legacy USB when running any memory test with this MB.

Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

just tried by SPD, fails orthos after 10 minutes with both modules.

Also when i ran memtest legacy was disabled.

CPU is at 3.2 thats 8x400 with memory running at 1:1 at 5-5-5-12@2.1v, also tried CPU at default thats 8x266 with memory running at 2:3 at 5-5-5-12@2.1. Both fail orthos and memtest.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived