Corsair Community

Dell 9200 and Twin2X2048-5400C4

HoosierDaddy

Hi, I have a Dell 9200 on the way and need to add memory. I won't be overclocking (don't think possible on the Dell) but the Twin2X2048-5400C4 happens to be the cheapest 2GB of Corsair DDR2 memory I can find at the moment ($159 @ Frys.com).

Is this memory going to be compatible with the Intel chipset MB in the Dell?

TIA

http://compatible.corsairmemory.com

Short answer: No.

CMSS512MB-667 is the only part listed to be compatible with that system. The compatibility site is updated regularly though.

Thanks, but I know that was the only one LISTED but that doesn't mean its the only one that is compatible. In fact, I would bet a large sum that several Corsair memories are compatible.

The part you mentioned is only 512MB and even if I wanted small DIMMs the Corsair links to places to buy says none in the USA.

Maybe a techie or Dell owner can post some info.

TIA

The list is correct. The vast majority of Corsair's memory is XMS, which requires non-standard settings, which OEM systems can never do, hence why they started up the CMSS (System Select) line (among other reasons). Value Select may be compatible with the system, but certainly not with the Dell memory, whereas System Select memory will run ok with the Dell memory.

I'd wager the reason Value Select memory isn't on the list is because System Select memory is specifically designed for OEM systems, whereas VS memory isn't.

Oh, and I used to work for Dell, both on the tech and sales sides, so I'm fully aware of how picky they are when it comes to memory, hence why I didn't mention the VS memory earlier.

Archived