Corsair Community

Mixing 64x8 & 128x4 DDR2

zak

Hi all

I tried adding some Corsair ram to my server, and it wouldn't boot up afterwards -no beeps, no messages, nothing. It has currently got 2 Corsair 400 DDR2 3200 ram modules installed, I can't remember the code though, but it had x4 on it, which I assume means 128x4. The new RAM I am trying to install is CM72DD512AR-400/S according to the packaging. Can these not be mixed perhaps? It is an Intel E7520 motherboard - SE7520JR23S to be exact.

Thanks for any & all help!

Cheers

Zak

Hi

Thanks for the answer. Is there any information I can give you that would help besides that info? I ask because I would have to take down the server & check and the take down the server again to install the RAM, which is twice the downtime. The other oprion is to replace the existing 1GB entirely, which would just mean getting 2 more of the same type of RAM that I have just tried to add, which I will do in preference to double downtime.

I can see some information without opening up the case, this is what lshw shows:

*-memory

description: System Memory

physical id: 26

slot: System board or motherboard

size: 1GB

*-bank:0

description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 400 MHz (2.5 ns)

physical id: 0

slot: DIMM 1A

size: 512MB

width: 64 bits

clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)

*-bank:1

description: DIMM DDR Synchronous 400 MHz (2.5 ns)

physical id: 1

slot: DIMM 1B

size: 512MB

width: 64 bits

clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)

Does that perhaps help?

Thanks

Cheers

Zak

I can't get the part numbers without taking down the server. It's a production (live) server, and I am not going to do that. I understand that it would help to know the part numbers, unfortunately it's not going to happen. I'll make another plan which does not involve as much downtime.

Thanks

Cheers

Zak

Archived