Corsair Community

Bad Memory

dalgo64

I did a bootable Windows Memory Diagnostic test and the memory has failed all the tests. It is Corsair TwinX XL 2xCMX 512 3200 400Mhz, on an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and ASUS A8V Deluxe motherboard. I get error messages: svchost.exe the instruction at 0x7c9105f8 referenced memory at 0x00000010 and the memory could not be read.

I am in Perth, Western Australia and I bought the modules in December 2004 from VTech Industries http://www.vtechindustries.com.au

What do I need to do to fix the problem?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for your help and your reply. I have Asus A8V Deluxe, AMD 64 3500+ and Corsair TwinX XL CMX512-3200XL XMS 320 V1.2.

My Bios is 1017.

Here are the settings I set:

Burst Length 4 beats

CAS (CL) 2

TRAS 5

TRP 2

TRCD 2

TRRD Auto

TRC 7

TRFC 10

TRWT Auto

TWCL Auto

TWR Auto

Memclock to CPU Ratio 2:1 DDR400

Async Latency Auto

DDR Voltage 2.8 (max)

CPU FSB 200Mhz

V link 2.5

PCI Latency Timer 64

Software memory hole Disabled

Bank Interleaving Auto

The 2T timing setting I cannot find!

Are all the above correct? I am still getting the "cannot read memory" error on boot-up in Windows. I must say the system seems to work faster!

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

I changed the settings as instructed and Memtest86 v3.2 shows no errors. I still get the "svchost.exe error: memory cannot be read at address such and such..." when loading Windows, but otherwise no memory problem.

The system seems to lock-up with 2.8v so I changed to 2.7v.

Is this memory ECC or not?

Also where do I get some guidance for all the BIOS settings?

And overclocking?

My current reads in CPU-Z are:

Frequency 200.5Mhz

FSB:DRAM = CPU/5

CAS 2

RAS to CAS 2

RAS Precharge 2

TRAS 5

TRC 11

Command Rate 1T

DRAM Idle timer 16 clocks

Are these ok and where can I learn more about these?

Best Regards and thanks for all your help.

Dalgo

I set voltage to 2.8v and 2T. CPU-Z readings:

CPU:

Core speed 1002.5 Mhz (Cool N Quiet enabled)

Multiplier x5.0

Bus Speed 200.5 Mhz

L1 Data Cache 64KB (should be 128?)

L2 512 KB

Memory:

200.5 Mhz

FSB:DRAM CPU/5

CAS 2

RAS to CAS 2

RAS Precharge 2

TRAS 5

TRC 11

Command Rate 2T

Dream Idle Timer 16 clocks

Burst Length should be 8 beats or 4 beats?

I can set V-Link voltage to 2.5 or 2.6v

I can set AGP Voltage to 1.5 or 1.6v

DDR is set to max which is 2.8v

It seems to crash when I set voltage to 2.8 and 1T, but with 2T seems to be ok. When it crashes, the mouse locks-up and I have to restart.

On the other hand when I load Windows, I get one or the other of the following error messages (alternatively):

Svchost.exe - Application error

The instruction at "0x7c9105f8" referenced memory at 0x00000010". The memory could not be "read".

Click OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to DEBUG the program

The alternative error is:

Svchost.exe - Application error

The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at 0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

Why do I keep getting these errors when Windows XP Pro loads?

If I click on OK and the svchost.exe program terminates, then the computer does not work anymore.

If I click on CANCEL (to debug the program), the computer continues working, but the Creative Audigy 2Z S Pro Platinum sound card does not work and I have to restart manually the Windows Audio Service (which is not started).

I would greatly appreciate your assistance RamGuy.

Today I got another error out of the blue:

Sygate personal firewall:

smc.exe application error

The instruction at "0x7c9106c3" referenced memory at "0x00c8097e". The memory could not be "written".

What causes this and how can I get rid of it?

With the settings you suggested the system crashes after about 5 minutes. I reset all settings to default in Bios and now it seems to work finally, but the memory is not set to the factory default settings! What do I need to do to optimize this system?

With the default Bios Settings except for Audio disabled and Plug N Play enabled, I get the following settings in CPU-Z:

Frequency 200.5

CPU/11

CAS 2

Ras to Cas 3

Ras Precharge 2

Tras 5

Trc 11

Command Rate 2T

DRAM Idle timer 16 clocks

Voltage is default

With Memtest 86 v3.2 there are no errors.

However, with Windows Memory Diagnostic (bootable diskette) all 6 tests are failing. The "expected" and "actual" are different, all with the settings you recommended.

Does that mean I need to send them back with the RMA you gave me or not?

I tested with Memtest 86+ 1.65, both sticks simultaneously, overnight and there are no errors in the test.

All settings of the Bios 1.017 are default except voltage 2.8v, 2/2/2/5 adn 1T/2T, also set PlugNPlay to enabled, Audio to disabled (as I have a Creative card) and security for boot to Enable (antivirus).

System crashed with 1T and also with 2T, after a while. By that I mean that the mouse locks up and I have to restart. Not even ctrl-alt-del doesn't pop up. What next?

• Corsair Employees
Sygate personal firewall:

smc.exe application error

The instruction at "0x7c9106c3" referenced memory at "0x00c8097e". The memory could not be "written".

Is that the error you are talking about? If yes I would contect the maker of that software as its most likely a driver/software issue.

Archived