Corsair Community

Brand New System, but memory won't run in Dual Channel?

dolemite77

Hi all,

I am building a brand new system this weekend. The problem i'm having is when the system is loading (I think it's called the POST screen) it says "Memory runs in Single Channel"... Here is what I have:

Gigabyte 965P-S3 motherboard

2 GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2 PC6400 800Mhz (1GB sticks x 2)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13 Ghz

Seagate 320GB Sata3.0 HD

EVGA GeForce 7900GTO

I have the latest bios revision for the MB, which is F6. The bios settings are pretty much default. Why isn't the ram running in Dual Channel mode?? Thanks for any suggestions!

As to your memory slots may want to read the manual:

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-965p-s3_e.pdf

According to Gigabyte there is no 0 slot, they are numbered 1-4. For dual channel you need to use slots 1+3 or 2+4.

My guess is that you will eventually have a power issue. Your PSU is nowhere near strong enough for the system you have listed in your spex. Also, with that memory you will need to run the memory voltage at 2.1v.

Awesome. Geez, i feel pretty stupid, but the manual that came with the board did not make it very clear that the dimms need to be in 1&3 or 2&4. Works now though! And yea, i know i need to get a better PSU, but everything seems to work for now. We'll see...

Awesome. Geez, i feel pretty stupid, but the manual that came with the board did not make it very clear that the dimms need to be in 1&3 or 2&4. Works now though! And yea, i know i need to get a better PSU, but everything seems to work for now. We'll see...

That's not surprising about the manual. I have seen 2 very different manuals come with the same model of MOBO a few months apart. And, at the same time, both of those manuals would conflict with the online manual :confused: And, atleast it was an easy fix. Just keep in mind tha tin addition to killing your PSU a weak or underpowered PSU can damage components over time, esp the HDs and graphics cards.

Mike.

Archived