Corsair Community

4x512 to 2x1?

pixist

I recently bought a matched pair of TWIN2X1024A-6400 (xms6405v4.1 Taiwan) from Dabs UK. One stick is faulty giving errors via Memtest. I have arranged an RMA for this with Corsair.

Because I need a working machine, I ordered another set of TWIN2X1024A-6400 (xms6405v3.1 USA) again from Dabs UK. Very surprisingly this second pair is DOA - my DS3 beeps once then turns off and tries again and again... In trying to solve a problem, I have gotten mired in a worse one!! I see too that it might not be a good idea to be using 4x512 sticks anyway since it might make the machine unstable; I have not tried 4x512 in the machine, I have only been trying the separate pairs.

My idea is that I rma both pairs back to Corsair and that Corsair replaces them with a matched pair of 1GB sticks of the same RAM. Is this possible? The 4x512 actually cost me more than 2x1 would have cost.

Wired, thanks for the reply. Is this a decision or a view? I would think as a goodwill gesture Corsair would be keen to do this - two consecutive pairs faulty is a bit much as is the inconvenience and extra expense it has caused.

• Corsair Employees

I would suspect that you have another problem, as all of our modules are tested on a Mother board at their rated speed before they leave the factory.

And Wired is correct we will be happy to replace your module but only for the same parT# that you send in. And with that MB I would set the memory frequency at DDR2-667 at 2.1 Volts and see if the system will run and pass http://www.memtest.org.

I would suspect that you have another problem, as all of our modules are tested on a Mother board at their rated speed before they leave the factory.

And Wired is correct we will be happy to replace your module but only for the same parT# that you send in. And with that MB I would set the memory frequency at DDR2-667 at 2.1 Volts and see if the system will run and pass http://www.memtest.org.

The machine works fine with the first lot of memory - though Memtest shows errors in one stick of the pair. Indeed it will overclock to 480 at 1.9v. The second pair supposedly equal fails to allow the board to start atall.

LOL! Are you really suggesting that Corsair does not produce any faulty items? Failing memory? I suggest you read these forums to refresh yours...

What would be the point of running 800 memory at 667? I mean, I may aswell have bought 667 and saved some money. If it will not run at the stated speed then it is, at the least, substandard and unfit for sale at that speed. I note too that the DS3 motherboard defaults to 2.1v.

I'll return it to where I bought it and get a refund. Also, I will return the other memory via that retailer. I think I will buy my memory in future from another company. I do not like the tone here.

• Corsair Employees

Well I am sorry to hear that, but all of our modules are tested in a MB at the rated speed before they leave the factory and getting two sets of modules both failing would suggest some other problem. And I would encourage you to do a bit more trouble shooting with us to try and solve the problem, before you just get another RMA!

LOL! Are you really suggesting that Corsair does not produce any faulty items? Failing memory? I suggest you read these forums to refresh yours...

A: Not at all; our failure rate is lees than 1/2 of one percent of what we sell comes back thou and about 60% of the modules we get back test with no problem, I am only suggesting to keep an open mind and let us help you try some things to solve the problem.

What would be the point of running 800 memory at 667? I mean, I may as well have bought 667 and saved some money. If it will not run at the stated speed then it is, at the least, substandard and unfit for sale at that speed. I note too that the DS3 motherboard defaults to 2.1v.

A: You are trying to run 4 modules on a MB chipset that officially runs at DDR2-667, now that being said you can run with 2 modules at DDR2-800 or you should be able to, and with 4 modules there would be more loading on the memory controller and it will not over clock as well and in many cases the memory controller will need to run with a higher latency and or reduced frequency when the system is fully loaded.

This is nothing new and has been an issue with MB's and or chipsets since the beginning. Please watch the Memory Basics Presentation, it will help to explain some basic limitation of memory in general!

We are here to help you get your system running as best as possible with in reason, but our Twinx sets are guaranteed at the tested settings with one set only because of some of the reasons I have explained. Bottom line if you are having a problem, its best to test the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing and then go to the next step if there is no trouble found with http://www.memtest.org.

Notwithstanding your claimed failure rate of <1 in 200, I have bought two faulty pairs of Corsair RAM rated at PC6400 which equates to 800MHz DDR2 for a motherboard which is advertised as compatibile with that speed in all four slots and found them faulty - regardless of the chipset spec; I note too that Corsair configurator says this memory will work with the DS3. I found the first pair quickly produces errors under Memtest86+ but seems to work otherwise. I bought a second pair to allow me to use my machine whilst the first pair was being replaced by Corsair (to be fair to your customers, should these not carry a warning about not buying two pairs, i.e. guaranteed as a single pair only?). Sadly, the second pair will not even boot at the default settings - let alone be able to use Memtest86+. Now, I have NOT, as I said previously, used both pairs in the machine at once. I have tried and tested each pair separately all at default settings. I tried your 667 and 2.1v idea and that too would not boot... In any case, given your words about two pairs, it would be daft to keep them. I will divest myself of them and buy a 2x1GB pair from some other company.

• Corsair Employees

I understand and I wish you luck, but I suspect you might find the same issues with other memory as that MB is quite picky with memory. And no where do we claim we have tested any MB with 4 modules only one set at the tested settings on an approved MB, please see XMS Qualification and Testing

If you want to try replacing your modules please reply to the email you got from our customer service for the last RMA or call them at 888-222-4346 and I am sure they will do their best to help you, other wise for a return please see your reseller.

Thanks. I do though think that simply because Corsair does not claim customers can use 4 sticks does not absolve it from the responsibility of making them aware, since there are many motherboards which have more than two slots, that the modules sold are only good for single-pair use. A company genuinely interested in its customers' inetrests would.

Thanks. I do though think that simply because Corsair does not claim customers can use 4 sticks does not absolve it from the responsibility of making them aware, since there are many motherboards which have more than two slots, that the modules sold are only good for single-pair use. A company genuinely interested in its customers' inetrests would.

Well, nowhere does it state that the modules WON'T run 4 up either. The bottom line is, Corsair validates a pair of memory on a given MOBO and they state which. Every MOBO maker other than Intel deviates from the chipset specifications given by Intel (or Nvdia or Via or whichever chipset you pick) and they all do it differently. Then they go and further deviate each time they revise the bios. Then, you add in the myriad of hardware differences, (CPU revisions, etc) and you have literally 10s of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of potential variables. Therefore it is literally impossible for Corsair to anticipate, much less fully test them all. There is not enough time and manpower to do it. And if they tried, a set of memory would cost $10,000.

I would strongly suggest you get a pair of 1024mb modules based on the recommendations from the Corsair Memory Configurator.

Mike .

• 1 month later...
I returned the memory to the retailer who tested it and found the same issues I did. I got a full refund. Given the random nature of Corsair compatiiblity, as admitted here, I decided to buy 2 x 1GB XXXXX 6400 Extreme 4.4.4.12 which work fine and overclock very well - no issues on my DS3. Sadly, they do not offer the forums and information offered by Corsair. Still can't have everything. And now for something completey different...

Archived