Corsair Community

My Problem

jamied

I have the Corsair TwinXMS1024-3200C2Pro running on my ASUS A8N-SLI SE mobo, with the Athlon64 3500 Venice CPU. I can only get system stability when the memory is set at half the speed (200mHz DDR) not the 400 specified by the manufacturer.

Both Corsair and ASUS's Webpages state that the ram is compatable with my system and a lot of other people have the same setup as mine.

I have tried running different timings and upped the voltage and still nothing will stop the errors that come up in windowsXP when it is running at 400mHz DDR. @ 200mHz not a single problem.

Please help, or im stuck with ram that I can only use @ half speed

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

I have the Corsair TwinXMS1024-3200C2Pro running on my ASUS A8N-SLI SE mobo, with the Athlon64 3500 Venice CPU.

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well?
Ram Guy:

He already did :)

jamied:

Click here to find out how you can add your system specs to your profile and posts!

The appropriate settings for your setup are as follows:

CAS Latency (tCL): 2

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

Row Precharge (tRP): 3

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6

Memory Voltage: 2.7-2.8 Volts (Warrantied up to, but not over, 2.90 volts)

All other settings to defaults.

Source: Corsair XMS Qualification and Testing Information

Jamied, when you say the memory is running at 200mhz, how are you determining this? A common error is that DDR400 is 400mhz. It's not, DDR400 memory runs at 200mhz. However, since it transfers data 2 times per cycle (hence the name dual data rate) the rate of memory transfer is 400.

So, if you could list your bios settings and also take a look at your system with CPU-Z you should clear this up.

Mike .

sorry, yeah in CPU-Z it states its 100mhz (200DDR).

I set it to auto and windows crashes. Manually 400Mhz DDR (200mHz) and all the timings to 2.5-3-3-6 2T and it still crashes. But 200MhzDDR (100mHz normal cpu-z) and even tighter timings of 2-3-3-6 1T and its perfect. I upped the voltage to 2.8 and still crashed @ 400mHz DDR. The only way it will run or let alone install WinXP is to run the mem @ half speed 100mHz (200mHz DDR).

The memory is def a matched pair. Think the numbers are ending with 25 on 1 module and 26 on the other as if it was a manufacturing sequence, and def the same revision V1.1.

All FSB/HT Multiplier ect. all running standard. As soon as I turn the memory up to full speed 200 (400mhz DDR) it runs like a pig and BSOD and random restarts.

PLEASE HELP ME - I paid for premium RAM that I cannot use :-(

Try it with only 1 DIMM in the 0-slot. Also, if it will boot and run with a single DIMM, check it with http://www.memtest.org . If it will run 1 DIMM but not 2, you may have a power related problem assuming both DIMMs test OK. At a glance, regardless of the memory used, your power supply will most likely cause you problems at some point.

Good luck, Mike.

Just placed my OLD A'DATA ram in with the SPD timings of 3-4-4-8 2T and running at 200mHz (400 DDR) and not a single problem. not 1 single crash and running pretty quickly I might add too.

What can I do about the RAM now. It is obviously the Corsair DIMM's causing the problem. Does this mean that I am stuck with Brand new ram that the e-tailer in New Zealand will have to test before I can have anything happen. And from what they say, they will just send me some new sticks to put in the machine.

What are the chances of the new ones having the same problem in my system???

Go ahead and test the Corsair modules 1 at a time with Memtest. There is no compatibility issue with that memory and your MOBO so it "should" work. If you answered, I forgot, do you have the latest bios installed? Also, if you have not already, set the RAM voltage to the 2.7v to 2.8v range. And, if your MOBO has it, disable legacy USB support for the test.

Mike.

They test in memtest all ok, but in the pc they still fail as a matched pair.

My BIOS is updated to 0502 for the ASUS A8N-SLI SE which is the latest version.

Just placed my OLD A'DATA ram in with the SPD timings of 3-4-4-8 2T and running at 200mHz (400 DDR) and not a single problem. not 1 single crash and running pretty quickly I might add too.

What can I do about the RAM now. It is obviously the Corsair DIMM's causing the problem. Does this mean that I am stuck with Brand new ram that the e-tailer in New Zealand will have to test before I can have anything happen. And from what they say, they will just send me some new sticks to put in the machine.

What are the chances of the new ones having the same problem in my system???

Just did memtest86+ 1.65 again. Did 1 DIMM at a time and it all passed. Put the memory in Daul Channel config and it failed on test 5 and came up with 10 errors.

Would this be the same test programme that the company I brought the Ram from use or not????

Guess that means new Memory for me wouldn't it. I gather there is a warranty with all Corsair Memory :-)

Give me some of your thoughts....

How would you come to that conclusion??? Do you mean the memory controller on the motherboard/CPU or something on the memory itself??

If if was on the motherboard or CPU surely the A"DATA memory currently in the system would fail also??

Its been sent back to the etailer for them to test and hopefully send out new memory to me. Fingers crossed.

• Corsair Employees

Getting errors in test 5 would suggest some other problem, but I have no problem replacing your modules. And also the fact there are no errors one up!

Can you tell me the exact settings you have set in the bios and the bios version you have installed?

I had the CPU and Mem running stock standard 200Mhz (400 DDR) timings 2-3-3-6 2T. Like you told me to.

I have the latest BIOS Rev. 502 for the ASUS A8N-SLI SE. It was only failing in Dual channel config. The mem DIMMS have been sent away to get replaced, but I am really worried that the new DIMMS that come back will have the same problem.

If they infact do come back with the same prob, where to i go from there. CPU replacement, motherboard replacement??? All the parts are brand spanking new. Just about 3 months old. Thats how long I have had these probs. Installed WinXP around 30 times now. Finally running perfect with generic ram.

Does dual Channel actually use more power from the PSU than in normal config?? I honestly wouldn't have picked it.

What voltage rail would it run from, as I could check in the BIOS hardware monitor and check the fluctuations in voltages. 12V, 5V 3V??? I have the thermaltake 430W Pure Power. But saying that, I myself think this is on the low side. I have the Athlon64 3500+, 3 X HDD's, 1 CD/RW (internal) 1 DVD/RW (USB) and the Nvidia 7900GT, which apparently needs 22A on the 12V Rail. Which currently has 11.79V on the 12V Rail, and under on all the rest, I think by 1/2 a volt.

Could this really be that cause???

I have no way of knowing what rail your MOBO pulls the memory voltage from. You would probably need to contact the manufacturer.

And, dual channel does not use any more power than a single channel MCH setup. That is determined by the total number of DIMMs. And trust me, you would not want to bottleneck your system by using it in single channel.

And yes, a weak and/or "dirty" power supply can not only cause the problems you are seeing, it can DAMAGE components over time. Graphics cards and HDs are the most susceptible. When you use a weak/cheap/underpowered PSU, as it gets hot and it is producing its maximum power, it can allow AC current to start to bleed thru. This dirty power goes to your components which is bad.

Don't kill a $1500 computer with a $49 PSU. Again, this may not be 100% of "THE" cause but, it is a problem.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I sent the RAM back to the etailer and as you know when I tested it wil MemTest it failed in Dual Channel Config. They sent it to their supplier and it came up failed also.

Now, they are out of stock and are waiting for new shipment to arrive into new Zealand, but they now say when i asked for an update, that they have now sent it to Corsair for them to test as well. Would this be correct proceedure or not. Failed is failed isn't it??

I forwarded this post link to them and they were asking if it was you guys (Ram Guy and SpecMike) were the ones that have anything to do with the testing or not. I don't really care, I now know that the Ram has Failed 2 peoples testing and I just want my new modules!!!!

Can't wait, but what if Corsair come up with no problems or will they just replace it and get new ones sent to me.

regards

Jamie

Archived