Corsair Community

Dead XMS RAM with Asrock mobo

bobvodka

This is pretty much a repeat of a problem I had before, 2 1Gig sticks of XMS have died on me, memtest shows errors in the range of 256-512meg and 768-1gig on both sticks :(

This is the second set of RAM to have problems in an Asrock dual-939 motherboard (not the same motherboard as before however), so I'm kind a posting here to see if I can get a RMA number to warn others this could be a problem, seems the mobo and 4 gig sticks of ram don't get on (both times the problem came from the ram slots furthest from the CPU).

CAn I return this ram for a replacement? It's only a few months old I believe..

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest some other problem, can you tell me our modules part# (How To Read the Memory Label) and the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

The two module part numbers are; CMX1024-3200C2

The system which had the problems is totally dead (would not even POST with or without a gfx card or RAM installed) and has been thrown out as such I don't have access to that information beyond it being an Asrock dual-939 SATA2 motherboard (revision 1.01 or maybe 1.02 springs to mind). All settings were on default, no performance tweaks at all, it was running at DDR333 setting as I was using all 4 slots on the mobo.

The CPU in question is an AMD X2 4400+ @ 2.2Ghz.

Since it died I have brought a new Abit AT8-32X ATI RD580 Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard, in this system I tested each stick of ram from the old system independantly.

2 sticks checked out fine with extended testing, which are the two I'm currently running (also corsair XMS ram), however the other two sticks, which are a matched pair, both gave back errors in the ranges I specified in my first post.

Indeed, before I tested the ram I tried to install windows with all 4 sticks installed and it failed to even bootstrap from the CD ROM correctly the first few times and when it did it failed to copy the files. Removal of the none working ram has since allowed me to install windows and operate my system with no troubles at all.

The RAM did pass the quick BIOS test on boot up which I felt was a little strange, however as indicated a full workup of the ram is what indicated the two sticks were dead.

As with before the system was running at BIOS defaults and were not using any kind of agressive timing (ram was running at DDR400 in single channel mode in testing at the default timings).

In all cases the CPU settings, voltages and other such options were set at default. Visual inspection of the motherboard before I got rid of it yeilded no damnaged components capacitor wise anywhere on the board.

CPU, harddrives, DVD and PSU (485Watt) are the same in my current system as they were in the one which stopped working and the damned ram was in, as such it can be considered they are all fine.

I can't think of any more information I can give, however if you have any more requests then let me know

• 2 weeks later...

sorry about the delay, had a few things which ate up all my time...

The two dead modules both have the following details;

CMX1024-3200C2, XMS3202v2.2 0605181-1

When you say 'all' the modules do you mean the ones which are fine as well? (I just want to confirm as it's a bit of a nightmare to get into my machine when it comes to changing expansion cards, never mind extracting ram....)

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived