Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-6400 and GA-M59SLI-S5

pacmann50

What are the best settings for this MB. Had stability issues with default bios settings (blue screen errors, and prime95 failed at first test). I found that lowering mhz from auto to 667 mhz has brought stability, and now passes prime95 tests. However, do not feel that I am getting the most from this memory. I am a novice at this...

Thank You

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Have the latest bios (f5). Tried different timings according to specs and other user thoughts; all failed. It will boot, but random blue screens and reboots. Failed prime95 (torture) tests also lets me know it is unstable. Tried memtest with both mods ...passed. Only thing that gave me stability is lowering from 800mhz to 667mhz, everything else auto. Now pass prime95 and a lot more stable...but not as it should be. On the next crash I will lower to 500s. Seems like a waste.

Is it possible that the memory and m/b are both good, just not good together? Corsair claims they are compatible, but I am not seeing it. Maybe like a bad marriage with irreconcilable differences. I do not have a computer shop with spare memory and boards laying around to swap here and there to get this thing going. What is Corsair willing to do to help me? Would it be possible to swap for more compatible memory? According to Corsair data this memory is compatible. I see some ASUS owners are having the same problem. The common denomonator being nForce590 and am2.

MB TWEAKER (M.I.T.)

CPU FREQUENCY [AUTO]

SB_PCIE CLOCK [AUTO]

NB<->SB REF CLOCK [AUTO]

NB_PCIE CLOCK [AUTO]

CPU CLOCK RATIO [AUTO]

AMDK8 COOL & QUIET [AUTO]

ROBUST GRAPHICS BOOST [AUTO]

DDR2 VOLTAGE CONTROL [NORM] (have tried + .1,.2,.3)

NB/PCIE VOLT [NORM]

SB/PCIE VOLT [NORM]

CPU HT-LINK VOLT [NORM]

HT-LINK VOLT [NORM]

CPU VOLT CONTROL [NORMAL]

-NORMAL CPU VCORE 1.3500V-

PNP/PCI CONFIG

PCI LATENCY TIMER (clk) [32]

PCI 2 IRQ ASSIGN [AUTO]

PCI 1 IRQ ASSIGN [AUTO]

ON BOARD DEVICE 2 IRQ ASSIGN [AUTO]

ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES

K8<->NB HT SPEED [AUTO]

NB->SB HT SPEED [5X]

NB<-SB HT SPEED [5X]

K8<->NB HT WIDTH [16,16]

NB<->SB HT WIDTH [16,16]

NIVIDA GPU EX [AUTO]

DRAM CONFIG

SLI READY MEMORY [DISABLE] ~not detected~

TIMING MODE [MANUAL]

MEMORY CLOCK [DDR 667] (lowering this keeps me more stable)

CKE POWER DOWN MODE [DISABLE]

MEMORY TIMING

tCL (CAS LATENCY) [AUTO] ~5 CLOCK~ (have adjusted)

tRCD [AUTO] ~5 CLOCK~ "

tRP [AUTO] ~5 CLOCK~ "

tRAS [AUTO] ~18 CLOCK~ "

COMMAND PER CLOCK [AUTO] ~1~ "

tRRD [AUTO] ~3~

ASYNCLAT [AUTO] ~6ns~

tRC [AUTO] ~23 CLOCK~

tWR [AUTO] ~6 CLOCK~

tRWT [AUTO] ~4 CLOCK~

tWTR [AUTO] ~3 CLOCK~

tREF [AUTO] ~3.9 us~

-thanks for your help and time

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having problems with the TWIN2X2048-6400 and GA-M59SLI-S5. I'm relatively new at this and can't get the machine to start at all. I get a single beep from the bios and then a continuous string of beeps, which seems to imply a ram problem. Absolutely nothing gets to the monitor, so I can't get into cmos or the bios.

Please help

Thanks

Jeff

• 3 months later...

I recently installed 4 GB of TWIN2x2048-6400 memory modules. I decided to install 2 at a time for testing purposes. The first 2 failed, did not boot. Rearranged them and boot went OK. Tested the second kit and boot went well. Then installed all 4. Boot went well but system would shut down often and automatically reboot. Ran memtest86 and got lots of errors, mainly on test 5. I have the latest BIOS F7.

Read some of the posting here. Changed voltage to 2.1 instead of 1.9 and up to now the machine has not shut down. I will run memtest86 one more time (this time I will disable legacy USB in BIOS). For now my system is not acting up so that makes me feel reassured already. Need to investigate further whether the change of the voltage +.2 solved my problem.

Will post again after running memtest86.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules you may have to set the memory frequency at DDR667 and I would set the memory voltage to +.2 Volts minimum and see if the system is more stable, but what you have posted may also suggest a power problem.

My PSU is LC Power Arkangel LC8850 850W. I have been using this PSU for a while now and never had any problems with power.

I tried changing to DDR2 667. Changed the voltage to +.2 (2.1v). Did not work, could not use the computer at all.

I removed 2 of the 4 modules. Ran memtest86. Got a lot less errors, around 45K and only test 5. Before I was getting over 2M errors in a single pass, mostly test 8 but also test 5.

At least now I can use my computer to post this message. My conclusion is there is something wrong with the kit I removed from the computer. At least one of those modules has got to be faulty.

After extensive testing (I had to eliminate all other possibilities; mobo, CPU, PSU, video card) I have come to the conclusion that 3 out of 4 modules of this memory are faulty. I am running my system on 1GB, the only module which works and does not report a single error when tested with memtest86. I will be RMA'ing the faulty modules back to vendor.

I set the voltage in BIOS to +0.2v and my timings are 5-5-5-18 @ 400Mhz Single Channel (because I have only 1 module that works). Everything works fine! This mobo is great, lots of features. Considering the odds of having 3 out of 4 modules faulty from two separate kits from 2 different vendors I have but to wonder whether there is compatibility issue between this mobo and Corsair memory.

Thanks to Ram Guy for the great support! These forums rock!

Archived