Corsair Community

Lightening Strikes Twice

karnokki

OK, I purchased a TWIN2X1024A-6400 dual channel package recently. One stick was bad, wouldn't run in anything but SPD, (5-5-5-18) the other was good. No worries, I applied for and was granted an RMA #213360.

I decided to ship both modules as that is what was recommended for a dual-channel pair, but I didn't want to use my wife's computer for a week while this was happening so I ordered another set, same memory. I intended to ship the old modules when the new ones arrived. The new modules came today. I installed them by themselves and the PC wouldn't post into windows; it tried, generated an error then froze on the option screen for safe mode et al. %^$@&**! I tried to post again, same result. Okay, I took one stick out, same result. Fine, I switched modules and the thing posted with no trouble. Long story short, I'm now running in dual channel with both of the good modules from the separate orders -- vdimm is 1.9 and timings are 5-5-5-15, just as advertised. My comp has cycled successfully through 20 passes of Memtest 1.86+ and I am running Prime95's memory portion of the stress test as I post this.

I don't want to send back the two sticks of memory that are working. Can I generate another RMA and send the (new) bad module in it? If this is the case, can I send both RMAs in the same box and reduce my shipping costs?

By the way, my wife's computer runs Corsair twinX, as do both of my daughter's. I have also built several computers for others, and those run Corsair, as well. These are my first bad modules. What's up with QC? Week 29 of 2006 must have been a bad one.

With the first set of modules I did try 2.1 volts. I also tried running the memory via manual using the same timings as SPD -- 5-5-5-18 @2.1v. One stick would run memtest, prime95, whatever, from 1.8 to 2.1v. The other would fail in minutes, regardless of the voltage.

With the newest set, one stick will post at 1.9 run memtest, prime 95, the other won't even boot into windows. But I'll try it, I'll up the voltage in the bios to 2.1, put the bad stick in by itself and see if it works.

OK, I'm back. I tried the 2.1v as you suggested with the faulty module by itself, and...no post, not even little post. The comp goes through the motions, but will not boot into windows. But thanks for the suggestion.

So, my question stands, can I generate a new RMA number for this second faulty module and ship it in the same box as my first RMA? If so, will Corsair send me a set of TWINX modules in return? I seem to be running fine on the mixed set now.

Archived