Corsair Community

Bad RAM or bad motherboard?

mm12345

Specs:

Antec sonata II case

Antec Smartpower 2.0 450w PSU

AMD X2 3800+

2GB Corsair DDR400 XMS3200 RAM (CMX1024-3200C2PT) Settings 2.5-3-3-6 voltage 2.75

EVGA 7900GT video card

Asus A8N-E motherboard

A few weeks ago I started having random blue screens/reboots, and was able to, I thought, trace it to a bad stick of RAM, by removing one of my sticks. When I did so, my computer ran just fine. I RMA'd the offending part to Corsair, who got my new stick to me today. I installed it, and it booted up fine. It was recognized as 2GB by windows and in my BIOS.

I loaded up a game, and my system powered off, and refused to post.

I made sure the stick was seated properly, and everything else looked fine. I am occasinally able to get it to boot with the 2nd stick in place, but most of the time it just wont post, giving me a 'bad RAM beep code'

The new stick of ram is labeled with a v2.2 in the corner whereas the old one is marked as v1.6 Could that be a source of the problem? Otherwise they are identical. (They were originally purchased as a matched pair)

I also ran Memtest86+, and with both modules in place, it crashed my system at about 65% of test #3.

My only other theory is that I have a short somewhere, or that particular RAM slot is somehow damaged. I have no idea how to test either of these theories, and I really dont want to go through installing a new motherboard and thus re-installing windows for the 9000th time.

Can anyone help?

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but the first thing is with this plat form you cannot mix memory, I think there is some statement about this in the user manual. Both of the modules would need to be exactly matched. Same part# and same revision!

Second thing I see is the Video card you have may need a bigger PSU I would check with the maker of your Video card to see if the PSU you have will meet its minimum requirement.

I am sorry but the first thing is with this plat form you cannot mix memory, I think there is some statement about this in the user manual. Both of the modules would need to be exactly matched. Same part# and same revision!

Second thing I see is the Video card you have may need a bigger PSU I would check with the maker of your Video card to see if the PSU you have will meet its minimum requirement.

Well shoot, I wish I'd have known that before I RMA'd just the one part. Can I call back with my RMA number and get this straightened out?

Thanks for the help.

Archived