Corsair Community

Abit NF7-S how to get 1024MB ?

pearhead

My Mobo supports up to 2 gig of DDR PC 3200

I currently have 512mb XMS (2-256mb PC3200) installed and want to add 1 stick of 512 (1-512 PC3200) to bring up to 1024. I have the 256 modules running dual channel in DIMMs 2 & 3 as suggested. When I add the XMS 512 stick to DIMM 1 the bios only reports 768mb total.

Help!

It isn't recomended to mix memory. The easiest way to get 1GB of ram is to buy a TwinX1024 kit.

You may want to try swapping the two 256MB modules to the dimm slots on a single channel. Then place the 512MB module on the other memory channel. If this configuration works it may cause more stress and heat on your Northbridge.

Thanks.

Mixing memory? Urm...OK. I always thought that meant by brand, series, speed, latency etc.....not size of module. These sticks are all Corsair XMS with the same specs. The only diff is the size.

So...with 3 DIMMS and based on what you're saying, what benefit is the DIMM 1 slot if you can only use exactly matched pairs to max out the rig? :sigh!:[wonders] what 3 sticks of 512 would do...

1536 MB?

or

1280 MB?

This is a pretty big deal and the Abit book is not real clear on this...if anything it's a bit misleading.:mad:

I'll give the switcheroo a whirl and see what happens.

Mixing memory? Urm...OK. I always thought that meant by brand, series, speed, latency etc.....not size of module. These sticks are all Corsair XMS with the same specs. The only diff is the size.

The advice against mixing even different-size modules of the same brand, model, speed and latency especially holds true with 1GB modules: Most 512MB modules are double-sided, while all current 1GB DDR1 modules are double-sided as well, resulting in the use of completely different IC chips on the 1GB modules (512Mbit density) versus those on the 512MB modules (256Mbit density).

In addition, your 256MB modules are likely of a much earlier revision than your 512MB module, which may explain your problems.

By the way, you will have to look at the modules' label to determine the exact model and revision of your memory modules. An example is this:

CMX512-3200C2PT XMS3202v5.2 0536109-0

The first string of numbers (CMX512-3200C2PT) is the model number that you see advertised on a major vendor's Web site. The second string (XMS3202v5.2) is the code for the actual module and the actual version and revision used. The third string of numbers tells you the manufacturing date code.

The advice against mixing even different-size modules of the same brand, model, speed and latency especially holds true with 1GB modules: Most 512MB modules are double-sided, while all current 1GB DDR1 modules are double-sided as well, resulting in the use of completely different IC chips on the 1GB modules (512Mbit density) versus those on the 512MB modules (256Mbit density).

In addition, your 256MB modules are likely of a much earlier revision than your 512MB module, which may explain your problems.

Thanks for the info. I've got a better grip on the real story now. Thanks Abit for leaving out such unimportant details. :roll: I may try swithing channels but I don't think that will help me much...reckin I just flushed about 30 bucks. :[pouts:

Archived