Corsair Community

XMS Twin 2048 PC6400C4 + ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium

SavNout

Has anyone given this combo a shot yet? Thinking of upgrading my P5N32 SLI-Dlx to a Premium and getting a EE Conroe.

Like to run the Corsair 6400PC memory...just know from experience that this mobo is picky when it comes to memory. And what about the 6400C4? Would be nice seeing how the C4 is SLI rated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sav:sunglasse

I'm considering building the same system p5n32 sli premium wifi. I recently sent my Dell XPS 700 back because it would only accept 667 mhz.

will this motheboard work with the Corsair twin 2x2048-6400c4-pro.

ASUS will not tell me anything and I cannot reach anyone at Corsair.

what a surprise.

Thanks, Jim2257

• Corsair Employees
With that MB I would suggest Twinx2048-5400C4, you can use XMS6400C4 with that MB but you will need to over clock the MB to get the modules to run at their tested settings and you will need to be using an 1066 FSB CPU.

• 2 weeks later...
With that MB I would suggest Twinx2048-5400C4, you can use XMS6400C4 with that MB but you will need to over clock the MB to get the modules to run at their tested settings and you will need to be using an 1066 FSB CPU.

Can you please elaborate on this? I have TWIN2X1024-6400C4 but have to set the mobo to 1:1 (533) in order to get the mobo to run stable and have the RAM to run at SPD. At 800, the motherbord is VERY unstable. If I cant get the board to run stable at 800 what is the most likely cause? The RAM or the mobo?

Thanks!

Just ordered the ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi / Intel E6600 and CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel all from Newegg.

Should have it tomorrow, Monday at the latest. Once I get it all together I'll let you know how it all turns out.

BTW, anyone have a suggestion for the CPU cooler? I plan on water cooling but that will have to wait a few more weeks so I need something that will work well. I have another system with a P4 D 3.0 cpu that can use the heatsink after I get the water cooling stuff so I'm looking for something that I can reuse on my second system.

Thanks!

I would set the memory Frequency at 667 Mhz at 2.1 Volts after you load setup defaults and assuming that you have the latest bios version installed. Then test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, and what is the make and model of your PSU please?

Thanks for the help.. here is my PSU.

PSU ROSEWILL|RD600-2DB-SL 600W

I have been having the exact same issues, I have followed your advice of clocking it to 667mhz and 2.10v but, without using memtest I have still been getting the same issues.

I have tried getting memtest and writing it to a bootable CD but...the iso files that I download from their site seem to be completely empty ?! Unfortunatly this machine doesnt have a Floppy Drive.

I am going to RMA this 800mhz Memory with scan and purchase Twinx2048-5400C4 , does this still remain as your reccomendation ?

I downloaded the file from memtest, its .zip.iso . I have extracted the .iso and looked inside with winrar and it shows it empty. Regardless I attempted writing it to CD using the Burn ISO function but there is nothing on the disc either in windows and nothing is detected on boot..... I downloaded the .gz version and older versions and they all seem to be empty ?!

What do you reccomend I do, Keep this 800mhz memory and try and fix it or just RMA it and get the 667mhz.

By reading other forums people seem to be getting really weird things going on with this 800mhz memory and this board combination....

I'm guessing that the XMS TwinX5400-2048C4PT (Platinum) is fine too.

Thanks for the reply.

Previously, I got a few parts but I guess I didn't research it enough; luckily, I was able to give it back without a problem. Mind you, recently, I got an $80 motherboard (Asus P5PE-VM; too cheap), lol. I first got it because I just bought a new AGP videocard (I didn't want to jump to PCI-E just yet) and wanted to use the Conroe with it. That board doesn't really support high performance memory (first had another brand, then Corsair TwinX3200-2048C2). I stuck in a temporary stick of single-channel RAM till I got things figured out. In the end, I decided to go the high-end PCI-E route.

I found this thread and it answered most of my questions. My new P5N32-SLI Premium and new PCI-E (SLI videocard) is coming in tomorrow and the RAM has to be shipped in from Quebec (coming Monday). Also, I'm using the Conroe 6400. Can't wait!

Thanks again.

PS - I also didn't know Corsair had forums until recently.

Did that help or are you still have problems? And did you test the modules one at a time?

Thank you for asking.. sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

I have tested both sticks individually using memtest and the default bios setting.

399 @ 5-4-4-4-17. Both sticks passed over 5 passes with flying colors; however, when I add the second stick(Duel Channel), I cant get past on pass.

So, is this a motherboard limitation or a bad matched pair.. or something else?

To add to this.. again, I can not get through a pass in memtest running dual channel, but I am stable in windows - successfully running 10 burn-in passes on sandra. As soon as I get in a game, the system becomes very unstable and crashes. If I bump the RAM down to 1:1(533), the system is stable in all applications. I know, I could keep it at 533, but I would like my system to perform at advertised speeds whether its my motherboard, RAM or something else causing the issues.

Thanks again!

I have run memtest to.

I ran it in dual channel only and got plenty of errors.

Ran it overnight and it came up as 22 passes with 57 errors.

The symptoms i get on my system with any clockspeed are things such as:

Applications failing to open but hanging in active process' and being unable to "end process" on them.

Blue Screens (Rare but 2 in total)

Shutdown taking forever, ie it hangs for about 2 minutes then suddenly shutsdown. Probably something not closing properly, hanging.

Sometimes after BIOS changes / restarting PC from windows the PC fails to post, I have to hold power button 5 seconds power down, power up and occasionly the bios will tell me that the last post was interupted or Boot failed. please reset bios settings....or press F1 to continue.

Thats pretty much the bulk of it. Lots of other little things like setting X-Fi setting for sound in BF2142 crashes it to desktop, (yes i have a x-fi card so it should work)...it worked at one point with this sytem but since I have changed clock speeds etc it has started.

:) Scan have given me an RMA so im gonna get it replaced. (with the 5400 of course :P)

hmmmm...

Well my 5400 Ram just arrived after about 2 weeks cus I had to wait for the credit from the last lot to get to my account... :(

Even worse news is that Ive put it in, cleared the CMOS and everything manually but I just cant get it to post.

I dont think I have the PSU bug, but looking at the tomshardware forum what do you reccomend my next action be ?

UPDATE: Ive been talking to people and they all agree it sounds like a Motherboard problem over anything ....... If I send it back is there a MB that Corsair Reccoment for the RAM i have now (XMS2 5400) and the Core2 Duo Processor (e6600). from http://www.scan.co.uk please as thats where im sending this one back.

Archived