Corsair Community

Intel D975XBX unstable with 2 x VS512MB533D2

rif

Hi,

I have an Intel D975XBX motherboard and two Corsair Value Select VS512MB533D2 memories.

The PC is highly unstable if I use the two memories in dual channel.

It is unstable if I use both memories in single channel.

It is stable if I use one or the other of the two memories alone.

It looks like both memories are working fine alone, but not together, independently from the fact that they are installed in single or dual channel configuration.

The latest BIOS is installed and it properly recognises the memory as:

DDR2-533 PC2-4200

Non ECC

4-4-4-12-2T latency

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi,

I already had the latest BIOS, as I wrote in my original message.

Manually setting in the BIOS the Dim Voltage to <2.1 Volts> instead of <Automatic> has made the machine stable for over 4 hours yesterday evening :biggrin:

Overnight I run for 8 hours memtest with the two DDR2 modules in dual channel configuration with no errors :biggrin:

Nevertheless, if I change the memtest configuration for Memory Sizing from the default <(1) BIOS - Std> to <(2) BIOS - All> I receive many errors on the same Failing Address: 0003FEDFE48 - 1022.9 MB :[pouts:

Is this normal?

I will continue testing the machine in dual channel configuration and report back results in the coming days.

Cheers,

Rif

Ok, now that I have set the memory voltage to 2.1 volts I can run memtest overnight with the two DIMMs in dual channel configuration with no errors.

Nevertheless, as soon as I try to use windows I have the same unstability problems as before (blue screens, machine hangs up, machine reboots, machine do not enter BIOS, machine enters BIOS and hangs, etc.).

When I get blue screens the problem is always a memory fault error: one application or another is trying to address an unallocated memory portion (error codes vary a lot).

What does this suggest?

Memory problem or motherboard problem?

If I go back to only one DIMM (single channel), independently from which one I choose, the machine is completely stable.

Cheers,

Rif

Power supply should be Ok: it's a Fortran FSP-400-60THN-P

Windows installation is a clean one, performed 3 times after HDD re-format (just to exclude SW problems).

I repeat:

- the PC is stable with no problems at all with either one or the other of the memories in single channel

- the PC is unstable with both memories in single channel

- the PC is unstable with both memories in dual channel

Since the PC is absolutely stable with only one memory, I exclude a SW problem.

BIOS is the most recent one and this problem happens with any of the latest three BIOS versions (the one which was on the CD which came with the motherboard, the one I downloaded from Intel when I first set-up the PC and the most recent one, issued a few days ago).

Manually setting the Dim voltage to 2.1 V made the memory pass memtest; nevertheless, the machine is unstable if I boot Windows and I have both memories installed, independently from the configuration, i.e. single or dual channel.

My problem is to understand whether I have to send the memory back to Corsair or the motherboard back to Intel (or upgrade the PSU).

Cheers, Rif

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I confirm problem was with the memory: the local reseller exchanged for free my two Corsair Value Select VS512MB533D2 with two identical modules and I've been running the PC all the weekend with no problems at all.

Nevertheless, I confirm that the previous modules were not working even if the dim voltage had been manually set to 2.1 V and memetest gave no errors on the two modules when installed alone, together in single channel or together in dual channel.

Despite the positive result of memtest, the unstability of my PC was caused by the two memory modules.

Since testing two new modules (if your reseller is so kind to lend you a couple as mine did) is relatively easy: I suggest you always do that, EVEN WITH A POSTIVE RESULT FROM memtest.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

RIF

Archived