Corsair Community

Installing TWINX 1024-3200XL + TWINX512(2xCMX256A-3200LL) Together?

macwun77

Hi everyone: I have searched the forums but couldn't find an answer to my specific question so here goes:-

I just purchased some TWINX1024 3200XL , no problems there! I also have some TWINX512 (2xCMX256A-3200LL) which I had already. My question is this: Can I install the 512Mb in my remaining two ram slots? I have a dual channel 128Bit motherboard (See my specs) so obviously the TWINX1024 is running with dual channel enabled. I don't want to install the other 2 modules before I know it will work! I've read that memory speed(mhz) is reduced when running 4 modules in dual channel mode.

I'd appreciate any info and eventual tips for installing & configuring this correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone: I have searched the forums but couldn't find an answer to my specific question so here goes:-

I just purchased some TWINX1024 3200XL , no problems there! I also have some TWINX512 (2xCMX256A-3200LL) which I had already. My question is this: Can I install the 512Mb in my remaining two ram slots? I have a dual channel 128Bit motherboard (See my specs) so obviously the TWINX1024 is running with dual channel enabled. I don't want to install the other 2 modules before I know it will work! I've read that memory speed(mhz) is reduced when running 4 modules in dual channel mode.

I'd appreciate any info and eventual tips for installing & configuring this correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately, the 3200XL's and 3200LL's should not be mixed together in the same system - they use completely different IC chips and SPD programmings. If you decide to do so anyway, chances are that your system will refuse to even POST at all.

It would be best to replace what you have with one TWINX2048-3200C2 or TWINX2048-3500LL kit for best performance.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Well I did try anyway, being fairly tech savvy, building my own systems and all, although I admit I dont know intimate details about different ram chips, as you obviously do :-)

First I just got a medium length beep, so I tried switching banks and eventually reset the cmos to get the system to boot. I left the RAM settings on AUTO and was surprised to see that the BIOS left the DDR ratio at 2/2=400Mhz. Not surprised then when windows failed to load at login. So I set the memory at 2/1 and I am speaking to you now as windows loaded fine.

I think I'll take the advice though and remove the 256Mb modules.

Unfortunately If i could have afforded a 2Gig mem kit I would have done so, but at the moment this was my best bet. Guess Ill either keep the 512Mb kit for a second machine or resell it on ebay :-)

Archived