Corsair Community

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi, Corsair ram...Random Shutdowns

Khadralt

Ok gang...I am pre apologizing for a long post but I want to make sure u guys know what I have and have done.

Buid system;

Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi--Current Bios 0614(latest)

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

MSI NX7950GX2-T2D1GE Geforce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card Current drivers are latest

OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply

Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

NEC Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write

ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

CPU Temp; 43 C

MB Temp; 32 C

Problem; Random shutdown/restart of windows. Windows Crash analysis says its different things listing in order of %(guess on #)- 30-Unknown device error, 20-Ram error,5-Video card error, 2-Mixed error(could be cpu/vid/ram). Frequancy is variable but usually every few hours.

Solutions tried:

Change bios setting to recommended by both Asus and Corsair.

Latest drivers on all items.

Reformat hardrive.

Lower cpu/board temp.

Change ram slots.

Ran both Memtest and windows ram test.

Verified all power/control connectors

pluged in all optional power connectors to the mb (4total)

I have gone to all major componants forums looking for solutions and havent found any.

Since I am building two identical units I have replace the following items one at a time to try and identify the culprit-

mb, ram, hardrive, vid card, power supply, os, all with identical products.

so far the board is the most stable with one stick of ram in it, this lowers the reboot rate to usually 3-4 per day. I am not overclocking it.

Bios timer setting where changed to corsairs and asus tech support and currently on default.

The most important thing for me is stability, I dont mind rebooting If I am writing a paper for work but it makes me VERYYYY cranky when I am raiding with 40ppl and get booted at a major fight ingame.

Does anyone have anything they can suggest that can help me get this under control??

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with this MB you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived