Corsair Community

Compatibility for Soyo Dragon Plus

khoffman

Hi RamGuy,

I'm looking to get some new memory for my Soyo K7V Dragon Plus motherboard. It is a VIA KT266A based board. It's maximum memory speed is PC2100 (DDR266) and takes DDR modules. I know all this. BTW, the memory module finder on corsair doesn't have the K7V Dragon Plus, just the Dragon, which it claims (i'm skeptical) takes PC133 memory. So your memory module finder could use an entry for my motherboard (I know, it is dated so why bother).

Anyways, my question is:

I'd rather buy PC3200 (DDR400) memory for three reasons (price, availability, reusability in my 2nd computer which is nvidia nforce 2 based). Will a CMX3200-C2PT work in my motherboard? How about a value stick at PC3200? Will I need to remove my existing 256MB PC2100 memory stick (that's ok, probably buying a 1GB stick).

Thanks for the help. Need to get some ram and prefer Corsair so your help is appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
I doubt that MB will post if you put DDR400 memory in the system, I would suggest you wait till you are ready to buy new memory and get new modules to match the new MB. Because if you buy memory for this MB you may not be able to use them with a newer system!

Anyone actually have any experience trying this? I ALREADY have a nforce2 system that can use DDR400 when I someday retire the KT266A box. But it is a nice little linux server, it just needs more ram. I can hardly buy DDR266 from a reputable manufacturer anymore (certainly haven't seen any corsair) and would hate to buy ram that wouldn't at least work in my nforce2 system. Well, thanks for the reply but I hope you understand that wasn't much help. Most people have told me that DDR400 will post but I think the answer isn't black and white (ie probably depends on the module). I'll try Soyo and see what they say.

• Corsair Employees

Yes it will depend on the module, and if you have other memory I would just try it. But if you do get DDR400 you will need to manually set the memory timings and frequency or it will not post. All DDR400 modules made now do not have the SPD information for DDR266 settings!

But I think if it were me I would consider our Value Select modules like VS1GB333 or VS1GB400C3 if you just need more memory!

Archived