Corsair Community

Best performance settings for P4C800-e DX mobo?

Retrospec

Hi i wonder if someone could guide me to overclock my pc? I don't get all the

settings and parameter etc, no matter how much i read :(

Have done some test's and got it up to 3.7ghz stable, and that even

when i incorrectly did not lock the bus speed and followed the multiplier

way over 1000 mhz.

I'm not looking for some extreme overclocking just tweak the performance up a bit so it runs at it's best around 3.7-3.8ghz what would be the best settings

in the bios for this?

(Please help a newbe)

My system is as follow:

Asus P4C800-E DX MB (Bios 1022)

2x CMX1024-4000 corsair memory (2GB matched)

Prescott 3.0Ghz CPU (E0)

Video ATI X1600 pro 512mb AGP

Completely watercooled on all "hot spots" (Except for memory modules)

With an E0 stepping on your CPU, there's a pretty good chance you can get a very solid OC out of your system. I have noticed on my Asus boards of that generation, though, sometimes have issues with external clock speeds above 250 MHz (I have a P4P800-E Deluxe that maxxes at 249 MHz and a P4C800-E Deluxe that maxxes at 247 MHz).

Since you're water cooling the CPU, be sure to not exceed about 1.55 volts vcore or 65°C full load temp. It's not likely you'll come near the temp limit if you have a good WC system and reasonable ambient temps, though it is likely you'll creep up towards the voltage limit if you push the OC a ways. Be sure to lock your AGP/PCI frequencies at 66/33 MHz.

For the RAM, first try setting the BIOS to DDR400. This will serve to underclock your RAM at least until you push the OC to 250 MHz. By underclocking the RAM, you'll be free to push your CPU without having to worry about juggling both CPU and RAM settings concurrently, which is always a good thing when you're new to overclocking. Set the RAM timings to manual, and input the default timings for your particular RAM (check the product documentation, these forums, or a program such as CPU-Z to get the timing info, if necessary).

If you can work the system stable to 250 MHz, you'll be running at 3.75 GHz, right on your goal. That's also the stock speed for your RAM, so you should be able to run it at stock timings and voltage (vdimm). Personally, I'd up the vdimm one notch for just a bit of extra stability.

If you want to push things more, try using a divider that favors the RAM. On that board, you can accomplish that by setting a RAM speed faster than DDR400. Some systems will notice a nice performance boost by pushing the RAM harder than the CPU, though some purists will swear that those results are meaningless.

Archived