Corsair Community

Not so typical serial number and faulty memory

Raukus

Hi.

My appologies if this is in the wrong forum :o: .

Memtest has flagged up consistant errors across multiple configurations on one module out of my TwinX1024 3200XLPT dual channel kit (kinda annoying, they continue to make my system rock, but errors is errors, and won't do).

I've been through the Tech Support Express page proccess to the RMA form, near the bottom it asks for a serial number, the only numbers I can find are the label from Aria(.co.uk), both modules have two different numbers which are honestly a bit difficult to read :p: , other than that, there doesn't appear to be a "corsair serial number" on these modules, then there's the leaflet with lot number etc, and a bar code with a number, but the number doesn't look like the example at all, me ish confused.

Am I worrying over nothing? will either number do so long as there's a bar code on the same label? should I type in both in fact? do I even need to fill the serial number field on the form?

Thanks :) , in the mean time, I'll continue to try figure out where this number is that I need to do the RMA thing.

Raukus - The Fuddy Duddy.

Alrighty, well the field is required, in liew of a number I'll try "N/A" or "none".

While I'm at it, the Aria stickers have been placed on top of another sticker, completely obscuring it, I can read "TwinX" on one of the modules where it's not completely obscured, I've a sneaking suspicion that if there is an appropriate serial number that Aria might have covered up, but I'm in two minds about removing the Aria sticker to find out, heh, so tempted to contact Aria, and give them a verbal wrist slap if they have covered it up :p: :roll: .

If it all goes pear-shaped I'll come back and compare notes.

Thankies

Raukus.

• 4 weeks later...

Off topic:

Is there a deadline on the RMA, as in, if the parcel doesn't reach Corsair in a certain amount of time then it's canceled?

I ask because I posted my parcel about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't even left the country yet.

Raukus.

Note to self: Royal Mail's online tracker is at best vague :p: , I just recieved a parcel from Corsair containing my replacements :D: , even though the tracker still says my parcel is awaiting delivery, very strange.

Anyways, hmm, the replacement modules are not what I was expecting, I've always avoided the modules with the LEDs for various reasons, I suppose I can't complain, and it's probably not worth my while trying to get them exchanged, but I'd rather they sent me replacements without the flashy bits as per my old modules.

If it is possible to exchange them, I'll leave them alone and wait however long it takes, if not, I'll slap em in and see what they got :D: .

Raukus.

I'll finish my research tomorow and contact customer service if I can find anything online, in the mean time, I'm considering keeping them, but finding the exact specs I'm dealing with is proving more difficult than it should be, I've spent a good half hour trying to scrounge up enough specifications to make a meaningfull comparison between the TwinX1024-3500LLPRO, and the TwinX1024-3200XL they replaced.

One of my main concern is the clock speeds and timings, I have no intention of over clocking the modules beyond the 400mhz spec supported by my mother board (if anything, I have a tendancy to underclock my system when I want quietness), which is why I originally chose the TwinX1024-3200XL, to get the fastest timings possible (2-2-2-5) at 400mhz, unfortunately I'm not familiar with the command rates, T1 and such, or other latency values that may not be generally so readily quoted in spec sheets, and so don't know how that may have impacted the SPD settings for the respective modules, can the TwinX1024-3200XL only get 2-2-2-5 timings at 400mhz with T2 (which I understand is slower than T1 command rate), while apparently the TwinX1024-3500LLPRO SPD defaults to 2-3-2-6 at T1 even when underclocked from it's rating of 438mhz to 400 in keeping with my mobo's spec.

Is the TwinX1024-3500LLPRO performance superior to TwinX1024-3200XL at 400mhz regardless? I don't know, if it is I'd be willing to (grudgingly) overlook the LEDs, which reminds me, my other concern is I've not found the recommended voltage for these modules anywhere (they're running happily at 2.6 volts at the moment).

Raukus.

Yeah they're very close, read and write speeds appear identical, the XMS3200XL does have the edge over XMS3500LL in Everest's latency bench, albeit by a mere 3ns, 82 and 85ns respectively @ 400mhz, I've no idea where Corsair squeezed the performance from where 2-3-2-6 timings can practically match 2-2-2-5, but I was hoping it was just because of the bumped clock speed rating (438mhz) and progressive optimizations, alas, XMS3500LL didn't want to play with 2-2-2-5@400mhz, if it could do that and keep the speed advantage...:eek: :D:.

*Edit* Corsair has someone checking to see if they have alternative modules, I've not heard back yet *fingers crossed*.

Raukus.

There is no alternative, and you will need to talk to our customer service if these will not work for you!
Done.

Sorry!
While I wouldn't call putting LEDs on memory modules progress particularly, progress is apparently what Corsair does, don't be sorry.

Raukus.

Well, no reply yet from customer service, in light of the other couple of questions I sent via email that have, to date, received zero response, how long should I wait for? Is there something I need to do, some criteria I need to meet to be worth responding to? Or am I honestly wasting our time now...

Also, if in the future, corsair decides to cater to my needs again with another product, say a XMS3200XL back from the obsolete new and improved "classic" module (which are still listed on Corsair's site as available by the way, naughty naughty *wags finger disapprovingly* :P ), would it be possible to make an exchange then? I trust Corsair will keep record of this case for a while, clutching at straws I know...

Thanks for your responses and patience :).

Raukus.

• Corsair Employee
Well, no reply yet from customer service, in light of the other couple of questions I sent via email that have, to date, received zero response, how long should I wait for? Is there something I need to do, some criteria I need to meet to be worth responding to? Or am I honestly wasting our time now...

You should get a reply with in about 24 hours, but if not I would suggest calling them at 888-222-4346!

Also, if in the future, corsair decides to cater to my needs again with another product, say a XMS3200XL back from the obsolete new and improved "classic" module (which are still listed on Corsair's site as available by the way, naughty naughty *wags finger disapprovingly* :P ), would it be possible to make an exchange then? I trust Corsair will keep record of this case for a while, clutching at straws I know...

Can you give me a link to the module you are talking about? It might not have been updated yet! And I would suggest that you contact our customer service and ask them. 888-222-4346.

Heh, this has been a fun learning experience, my first RMA no less :o: , but we're sorted! I picked out an alternative, probably not as fast but it gets me that few millimeters of clearance back, tech support say "yay", now awaiting word back and I'll send these modules home, I'm so happy, I'll probably buy an extra module to pack out that remaining memory slot :D: .

If I have any more relevant questions I'll post again.

Thank you muchly :).

Raukus.

Can you give me a link to the module you are talking about?
I can do better than that, how about a link to probably every product in Corsair's current line-up?

http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

Yes, I know, it doesn't explicitly state availability one way or the other, that's the problem, particularly just a year after the initial purchase.

Shouldn't be too hard to add production status to that page, just a suggestion, I know there's no obligation to provide such data, but...the page linking to that one implies what's on there is available, I don't know, you be the judge.

Raukus

• Corsair Employee

Raukus

That is the product line for any specific page with a link to the Data Sheet for the respective product. The modules are not in production but that dopes not mean they are not available. Not to mention if you go to ASUS Product page for example you will see many MB's listed that are no longer in production as well. But they might still be in the channel.

But I will forward your suggestions to the right people!

*nods* True, it's just a list of data sheets and not a list of available product, my mistake, but I'm probably not alone, it's the only list I've encountered, and IIRC it was linked to by a product finder, since it's likely most people are going to be looking to buy (I understand you can buy direct from Corsair), I suspected it'd be reasonable to assume the products would be available, ala: it's a list of available products, and the data sheets were an obvious detailed information to link to from there, that's why I flagged it up anyway, sorry, should have been more complete in my last post.

The products may still be in channel, manufacturer warranty availability, as I've learned the hard way, is a different story, that said, I never imagined that the nearest available match for me would be so different.

As I said, I'm learning :): .

Raukus.

• Corsair Employee
NP and I am sorry that you are having a problem, I honestly dont want any one to have problems, but it happens and if U dont do this every day its not easy to catch up, but we will see what we can do to make things more clear!

No no, it's important that this happened, and that I didn't do what so many would have, writ Corsair off as a waste of time and only did enough to sort out what I want, leaving you with nothing to work with in terms of feedback.

Speaking of which, I have another suggestion if I may, one which actually sprung to mind while acquiring my RMA number, since I did fear then that I would be sent an undesired replacement part long before I contacted Corsair about it.

I understand the "Corsair Tech Support Express" system, which is what I used, is in beta, I'd propose additional user specified fields for desired or unwanted features, such as LED activity indicators, low profile modules and so on, so in the event an exact match is not available, undesired or acceptable features can be screened by the user and debacles like this nipped in the bud, it also would raise awareness of product lines and features a customer may not be have previously known about.

I imagine multiple choice format, tick boxes probably would be most efficient for Corsair's processing but I'm sure you'll figure out what suite the system best, and there's not many significant features to deal with so the burden of getting a good match should be minimal.

I'm done, adios :): .

Raukus.

• Corsair Employee

Well not really as we review the cases every week and the comments that are left. There is more than one way to skin a cat this is for sure, but whats the best way is debatable I would agree. The TSXpress system was designed to asnwer most questions and the ones it cannot answer provide an easy way to get the questions answered ASAP. And I think it does that well for the most part. But again we always look at things we can improve and make minor changes weekly so we will review what you have posted and make those considerations in the future updates.

But thank you for taking the time to tell us what you think it does in deed help a lot!

Archived