Corsair Community

TWIN2X1024A-6400 and ASUS M2NPV-VM

notfub

I have installed the Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard into a new Antec NSK4400 case. This is supplied with an Antec SU-380 PSU. I have now disconnected the HDD, DVDRW drive & all other motherbord connections except the two power connections and case leads (speaker & led etc).

I have checked the installation of the AMD x2 3800 twice, it is using the retail heatsink & Arctic 5.

RAM is the TWIN2X1024A-6400 set and the details on one of the sticks are;

- CM2X512A-6400

- XMS5405v3.1

- 0628012-2

- XMS2-6400

- 512MB

- 800Mhz

Problem is that this combination will not POST, show video or beep. The system powers up, CPU and Case fans spin, then 3-4 seconds later the system powers down.

I've tried each stick in all combinations with CMOS resets. I've tried booting with no RAM, then resetting CMOS, then adding a stick and still no change.

I'm out of ideas and I don't have spare DDR2 ram with different settings to test. Can anyone advise on the compatibility of this mobo/RAM combination out of the box and why it doesn't seem to work?

Thanks,

Dean.

• Corsair Employee
What Video card are you using the on board? And the PSU you have may not be enough for that MB. If you tried them one at a time and still get no post I would suspect some other problem, maybe you need to update the Bios to support the CPU you have, you might contact the MB maker and see what they say.

I'm using the on-board video of the motherboard (connected via d-sub) but will try and check what CPU's are supported out of the box (this could be difficult as I cannot see the BIOS version). :[pouts: However I would assume that the cpu would be supported as the x2 3800 was part of the launch range of AM2 cpu's. I cannot imagine ASUS selling a new AM2 board that could not support the AM2 launch cpu's. What do you think?

*** EDIT ***

From ASUS website regarding M2NPV-VM - "The motherboard supports AMD socket AM2 single-core Athlon 64/ Sempron and dual-core Athlon 64 X2/ Athlon 64 FX processors with 2MB / 1MB / 512KB L2 cache, which is based on 64-bit architecture. It features 2000 / 1600 MT/s HyperTransport Bus, dual-channel un-buffered DDR2 800 memory support and AMD Cool 'n' Quiet! Technology. "

The PSU is a 380 watt Antec as supplied with their new range of NSK enclosures. I think that this PSU should be capable of running one AM2 cpu + retail fan, microatx mobo, one case fan and two sticks of RAM. The number of connectors on the PSU would seem to inidicate that several more devices could be accomodated.

So can we assume (for speculative purposes) that the CPU is supported and the PSU is up to the job, what other things can I try?

Also I'm confused about the voltage specs of the RAM I have. Each stick of RAM in the TWIN2X1024A-6400 pack has the Part number of CM2X512A-6400 which I've just found on the compatibility link (fourth up from bottom of list) here http://compatible.corsairmemory.com/partner/memorysearch.aspx?partnerid=4&modelid=1539

The individual stick details here http://www.corsair.com/corsair/products/specs/CM2X512A-6400.pdf

state they need 2.1v......

.... but the TwinX details here

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/TWIN2X1024A-6400.pdf

indicate that they work at 1.9v (now I'm confused).

Appreciate your help with this.

***Further Edit***

I have received confirmation from an ASUS Support forum member the following.....

"My TWIN2X1024A-6400 is running at default AUTO settings (in the yellow slots), along with an AthlonX23800+, Seagate 250GB SATA2 and Pioneer DVD optical drive in an Antec Minuet 300 (300W PS) case."

I've asked for detail on his RAM compared to mine and the only difference is that versions differ as follows;

my CM2X512A-6400 = xms6405v3.1 & 0628012-2

his CM2X512A-6400 = xms6405v4.1 & 0631250-9

Could the changes between v3.1 and v4.1 alter the characteristics of the RAM so that v3.1 would not work at default voltage of 1.8v?

• Corsair Employee
my CM2X512A-6400 = xms6405v3.1 & 0628012-2 = Infineon 64Mx8, DDR2, AENEON, Die Rev B (90nm)

his CM2X512A-6400 = xms6405v4.1 & 0631250-9 = DDR2, 667MHZ, CL5, PROMOS 0.09u 64Mx8 ETT

Other than Different IC's they are the same.

But if you are not getting post with either module one up that would suggest some other problem. I would suggest testing the modules in another system to be sure. Maybe a friend can help you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread with some useful information.

Today I managed to get hold of another ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard and tried this with my original CPU, RAM and PSU etc it all worked a treat.

To conclude; THE MOTHERBOARD WAS FAULTY.

Thanks for your help RAMGUY ;):

Archived