Corsair Community

MSI K9N SLI Platinum and TWIN2X2048-6400

elwavero

I am having some difficulty getting my new rig to run correctly. As the thread title suggests I have an MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard and Corsair's TWIN2X2048-6400 memory set. After my intial system build I attempted to test the memory using Memtest86, however, the program crashed with approximately 100,000 errors. I'm using automatic detection for the memory timings, 1T command rate, and I upped the vdimm voltage to 1.9v as per Corsair's documentation. Also, my CPU is an X2 4600 so the memory was auto detected to run at 800Mhz. When I test each stick separately they seem to work fine with those settings. I am not sure how I should proceed. Should I manually set the memory timings to what Corsair recommends? (as a side note, I cannot determine what timings are currrently being used... it doesn't say during POST and I can't find it listed anywhere in the BIOS.) Is a 1T command rate too agressive? Should I up the voltage to 2.0v? Thanks. Also, as a final point of info, I have an Antec NEOHE 550 power supply which I think should be more than adequate. Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

with msi-k9N platinum updated to latest bios 1.3 trying to use 4gb of xms2cm2x1024-6400 memory , tryin to get it to run with 4gb of this xms2 6400 and it will not boot without restarting over and over, sometimes wont even post.this board says it will hold 8 gb but thats crap as far as i can tell, i have set timings to 5-5-5-12 cmd 1t, 2.1v, , read somewhere that 12 should be 15 so i tried that and cmd 2t and it booted with errors all over, unstable , then checked with cpu-z and it does not show the stick in dimm2 but shows correct model and size in other 3 slots in cpu-z... but will work with only 2 sticks of this, but in cpu-z it says 400mhz but in bios it is set to 800 manual.i am using a dualcore 4000+ 2mbL2 am2 socket.i think i have one bad chip though.

I attempted your solution Ram Guy, however, I am still having problems. The motherboard has the latest BIOS (v1.3) - I should have mentioned this in my earlier post. I put both sticks of memory in, manually set the timings to 5-5-5-12-1T, and changed the voltage to 2.1v. At first MemTest86 seemed to be working perfectly, but after leaving it running for 12 hours it still detected errors. The strange thing is that it passed through the test suite 17 times and only detected errors a very small number of times (2 errors on pass 8, 3 errors on pass 9, and 2 errors on pass 10). All of the other passes through the test suite worked fine. I assume that it is a bad thing to have any errors at all so I am still looking for a solution. I am currently trying to run MemTest86 using 5-5-5-12-2T at 2.1v. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should try if that doesn't work? Is there a reason that I can't run the memory at it's advertised timings? Has anyone else had any luck with this memory on the K9N SLI Platinum? Thanks.

tried that ram guy, same results with 667 and tried cmd 2t also with no luck .been going back and forth with msi and corsair all day. msi told me to do this and still no luck, everything i am using is brand new , memtest tested each stick fine.

from msi but didnt work, and this is like the third thing they said to do,tried all bios versions.they even sent me bios 1.31

Dear Customer, Just right after you type in the flash utiltiy along with the bios file you type the switches. Follow example A:\afud408 a7250nms.120 /P /B /N /C then you would just hit enter. Also make sure that the Software memory hole is enabled in bios and do clear the CMOS right after the bios update. If issue persists then has to be either board issue memory or memory controller that is integrated into the CPU. Thank you,

ps- keeps showing up as 3 gb in single chnl mode no matter what bios i use or what timings i use.

Although it seems that this thread has been taken over by another conversation, I just wanted to report my success in case anyone else tries to pair this motherboard and memory together.

Using the settings listed below I was able to complete a 24-hour (45 pass) run of MemTest86 with no errors.

Motherboard: MSI K9N SLI Platinum

Memory: TWIN2X2048-6400 (installed in DIMMS 1 and 3)

CPU: AM2 4600+

BIOS: v1.3

Memory Speed: Auto (800 Mhz)

Memory Timing: 5-5-5-12-2T

VDIMM: 2.1v

Bank Interleaving: Enabled

Memory Hole: Disabled

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees
Sorry you did not get an answer jackmem your post may have been over looked. But if all of the modules will post and run one up but the MB will not post when in D/C or with 4 modules I would suspect the MB or MB Bios or the maybe the PSU. Or it could be that the PSU you have is not enough for the system configuration you have!

yes i am also ordering another psu, the thermaltake i have has worked fine on all mobos for like 2 years, worked on latest 939 socket board with a 4400+

and 4gb of ocz gold ed. pc4000, but still getting a better model psu on the way and going to try that on this new setup i got.thanks ram guy.and yes, with 4gb of this TWIN2X2048-6400 on K9N SLI Platinum it only shows up as 3gb in single chnl mode. but mobo will not boot with just 1gb stick in slot 1 or 2, but boots fine with 1gb stick in slot 4.

Archived