Corsair Community

1Gb Corsair 60x SD card randomly wiped after use on XP

ian_hill

I recently purchased a 1Gb Corsair 60x SD card for use with with O2 XDA IIs PDA running Windows 2003. The SD card works fine in the O2.

I also bought a multi memory card reader with a USB interface for my PC. The idea was to speedily drop my latest music and files on the SD card from the PC and have them accessible on the PDA.

The idea seems to work fine for half the time, but the other half is disastrous, because after I've finished dropping new files onto the SD card on the PC, when I move the card to the PDA, the card is often wiped empty with just a single file in their place called ignore_my_files or something like that.

I've tried formatting the card with old-style FAT on the PC, loading data and then moving it to the PDA, but that doesn't seem to make any difference in the long run. Interestingly, the first time the SD card is formatted, loaded with files, and then moved from the PC to the PDA, everything is fine. BUT if I later take the card back to the PC to load more files on, by the time it is moved back to the PDA, the SD card is once again empty (even though at the time it was removed from the card reader on the PC, it still had a full load of data.

Can anyone provide some guidance about the situations under which I am likely to see this happen? I've now getting worried about using the card reader for camera photos once my new digital camera arrives this week, as I'm afraid the same thing might happen.

PC is noname brand, Win Xp, fully patched up, with USB 1. Although the "Multi-in-1" card reader/writer said no drivers reqd for XP, after the first few data losses I added their custom drivers to the PC, but it made no difference, apart from having pretty icons for each different memory card supported by the card reader.

The trigger seems to be moving the SD card to the PC, but I cannot understand exactly what the cause is nor what to watch out for. Help!

Ian

Hi, thanks for responding so quickly. I have actually tried a range of variants including:

1. Right-click on the SD card icon and select Eject

and also

2. Right click on the USB icon on the menu bar and select "safely remove hardware" and then click Stop

Even when I do those things prior to removing the card, it still gets wiped on the PDA. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Ian

• Corsair Employees

There might be something wrong with the PDA, but I dont have a problem to replace the SD Card if you like. However, I would check with the maker of the PDA and see if they have had this problem and if there is a solution and check for the latest firmware or biosand or drivers.

Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived