Corsair Community

Bad VS512MB400

DanMillisle

I have currently two sticks of VS512MB400, and there appears to be a problem with one of them. I've had random reboots of my system during games and i've had several games crashing back to desktop. I tried upgrading the BIOS, and changing the clock speed of the memory from 400 to 333, to no avail. I ran memtest86+ before and after I changed the clock speed, but it failed on test #5 each time, at around the same memory address (600000-ish)

Here's my specs:

A8N-SLI Premium

2 x 512MB 184DIMM PC3200

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ S939 512KB

Antec SP-400PGB Power Supply

Gigabyte GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCIE DVI

Thanks for any help you can give!

Edit - Meant test #5 not #6

• Corsair Employees
Please set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Okay, I've been running for about a week with the settings recommended, and I'm still getting random restarts. Memtest can get to tests 7+8 before bringing up errors, and I tried switching the channel that the sticks are on, but still no joy. I did test each stick on its own, however they managed to pass.

I couldn't find a voltage setting of 2.1 though, (the DDR voltage in the BIOS doesn't go that low) so maybe that's the problem. I did notice a few other threads that recommend 2.7 as a voltage, so I'm gonna give that a go also.

I've also attached a CPU-Z report, with my settings just in case it's any help.

Thanks for the help!

Edit - Just tested with a voltage setting of 2.7, and it passes test 7, but fails in the same place on test 8.

report.txt

Archived