Corsair Community

help with compatability issue MB/MEM

nethinim

ram guy

twinx 2048 4000pt compatable with asus p4s800d-x????????

MB userguide "if cpu fsb is 800mhz DRAM freq. choices are 266, 333, 400, 450, 500, &533 mhz

cpu is p4 3.20ghz, 800fsb, 1mb, HT

bios DRAM freq. gives the choices above.

memtest 1600 errors @500mhz , "0" errors @400mhz

same modules put into different system @500mhz bios setting that has same MB and CPU. memtest 10 passes "0" errors.

corsair tech case #199773 they told me to run mem @400mhz even though it is 500mhz modules. and to post t this site because they dont deal with overclocking???

if 3.20ghz cpu is set to 3.20ghz, and 500mhz modules are set to 500mhz how is that overclocking??? and they told me not to use the frequency divider??? whatever that is?? and to post to this site??

my northbridge is of questionable functionality. given the memtest of modules on two like systems

but is the memory compatable with MB. even though it is not written. or no one will say.

thank you

last time i typed 6x as much info and went to post and was told that i was nolonger logged in.

nethinim

please shed some light on this

The memory Frequency should be set to DDR400 and you over clock the system by over clocking the CPU.

do i use the old case # or start a new one?? i started a new one and it was just what i did before when i was told to post to this site.

still no answer to my original questions, feel like i am in a loop

why should mem freq be set to ddr400 if module is ddr500 and bios gives option for 500.?

asus advertises mb supports 4gb but it doesent.

corsair advertises these modules "verified to operate at 500mhz" but it doesent???

sorry, but 199773 they told me they dont deal with overclocking post here and now you are telling me to contact you back there??

confused and frustrated

Hell, I'M confused. ALL ram guy said was:

The memory Frequency should be set to DDR400 and you over clock the system by over clocking the CPU.

He said nothing about going back to tsxpress, or anything else! First off, that mem IS verified to work @ 500 Mhz, and that board will work with 4 GB.

the line below ram guys signature said " contact me at tsxpress below" that does not mean to contact him???

asus tech said mb supports 4gb but they could not understand why windows wouldnot start with 1gb kingston in each blue slot and 1 512mb in each in each black slot. (in January)( same frequency modules)

asus said to call kingston

kingston tech said mb does not support 4gb (in january)

corsair tech said that mb does not support 4gb (in january) and recommended the twinx that i now have.

you say mb supports 4gb, and that the twin x is verified to run at 500mhz.

please excuse me for being so stupid and computer illiterate. but set mem freq. to ddr400 and overclock cpu is not enough information for me to understand what i am doing. i dont understand why if module is verfified to run at 500mhz am i being told to set it at 400mhz?

thank you, wired

you have a great night!!

nethinim

the line below ram guys signature said " contact me at tsxpress below" that does not mean to contact him???

asus tech said mb supports 4gb but they could not understand why windows wouldnot start with 1gb XXXXXXXXX in each blue slot and 1 512mb in each in each black slot. (in January)( same frequency modules)

asus said to call XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX tech said mb does not support 4gb (in january)

corsair tech said that mb does not support 4gb (in january) and recommended the twinx that i now have.

you say mb supports 4gb, and that the twin x is verified to run at 500mhz.

please excuse me for being so stupid and computer illiterate. but set mem freq. to ddr400 and overclock cpu is not enough information for me to understand what i am doing. i dont understand why if module is verfified to run at 500mhz am i being told to set it at 400mhz?

thank you, wired

you have a great night!!

nethinim

What matters here is the actual FSB and memory clockspeeds, in this case. With this platform you should not run memory at greater than 33.3MHz above or below your CPU's actual FSB speed unless you want to risk your system suffering serious stability problems. And the truth is that an "800MHz" FSB Pentium 4 CPU has an actual FSB clockspeed of only 200MHz - but DDR500 memory runs at an actual 250MHz! That 50MHz differential between the actual FSB clockspeed and the actual memory clockspeed is outside the supported specs of most DDR1 chipsets. As a result, if you run your memory at DDR500 without first overclocking your CPU's FSB from 800MHz to 1GHz, you will have stability issues with your system.

thanks for the information. it helped somewhat but only rasied more questions.

could only get cpu up to 3.8/240 any higher system would not start and would only start with mem freq. set to auto. did not even try mem test just wanted to see if it coud get to 250 but it could not with what i know to do???

questions :RJLeon65 what you said about memory clock speeds and fsb being unsable? i also have an asus p4s800 with a p4 2.8/533 running ddr400according to what you said the fsb is 133 and the mem clock speed 200. 16 mhz over stability range @ 66mhz over??? and the fsb is not matched to clock speed even if i slow up the mem to 333 it is stillon the borderline of stability asus says the board runs 400????

ramguy: i have no intention of over clocking the cpu. however what should i set the dram frequency at 400 or auto. and if the timming is set to SPD how does that effect the 400 or auto setting.

why does my bios give options for up dram freq. 533?????

thanks again for shedding light

i will run mem at slower speed

nethinim

what you said about memory clock speeds and fsb being unsable? i also have an asus p4s800 with a p4 2.8/533 running ddr400according to what you said the fsb is 133 and the mem clock speed 200. 16 mhz over stability range @ 66mhz over??? and the fsb is not matched to clock speed even if i slow up the mem to 333 it is stillon the borderline of stability asus says the board runs 400????

Actually, the usable DDR speeds are dictated by Intel. The only way for that P4 2.8/533's FSB to be matched to the memory speed (clockspeed-wise) would be to run your memory at DDR266.

Archived